May 15; 63rd Anniversary of SYL Maalin ku Weyn Taariikhda Somaaliyeed

SOO MAAL   

SYL.jpg

Ummadda Aduunka ayaa leh Munaasabado si gaar ah loo xuso

oo Taariikhooda ku xusan,qiimeyn gaar ah leh,maalmaha xurmada

Weyn leh geedi socodkii halgankii xoriyadda Somaaliyeed iyo

Hanashadii Gobanimada qaaliga ah 15-ka May oo ah maalintii si

Rasmi ah loogu dhawaaqay curasahda Ururkii Dhalinyaradda SYL

Ee Dhaqdhaqaaqa Xoriyadda Somaaliyeed Sandkii 1943-kii.

Halgamayaasha swirkan ka muuqada oo 13-ka dhalinyaro ah waa Aasaasayaashii koowaad ee Ururka,hlyeeyo magac iyo maqaam weyn

Ku leh Somaalinimada iyo soo hooynta gobanimada,bileyskoodda,

Aragtidooda wadaniyadeed iyo ka gilgilashada heeryadii culeyka

Weyn laheyd ee Gumeeysigii Reer Yurub iyo hagidda Dadkoodda

ayaa ah waxyaabihii ka yaabiyeey Dowladihii isticmaariga ahaa

oo Isgu arkaayeey kuw aan cidi is hor-taagi kareen,marna meey

Filan in Dhalinyaro Somaaliyeed ku oran doonto dhulkan anagaa

Leh,gumeeysina waa diidney,xoriyad buuxda ayaanu rabnaa.

Halganka Xoriyadda Somaaliyeed ayaa xili hore biloowday

Marxalado badana soo maray:-

-Halgankii Halyeey-Imaam Axmed Guray.

-Halgankii Daraawiishta Sayid Max,d Cbadulle Xassan.

-Dhaqdhaqaaqyadii-Shiikh Bashiir,Faarax Oomaar iyo Sh.Xassan

Barsane ayaa Saldhig u ahaa Bileeylka Dhalinyarada Somaaliyeed

Iyo Garashada Qiimaha Weyn ee xoriyadu leedahay iyo xaqa Dadku

u leeyahay hanashada madax banaanidooda,Anigoo Sida ku haboon

u Garanaaya qiimaha iyo qaayaha eey leedahay 15-ka May,kana

Soo Qeyb qaatay Howlaha Hogaamineed ee Dhalinyarada Somaaliyed

Ahaan Jiray Gudoomiyaha Gudigga Dhalinyaradda iyo Ardeydda Jaaliyadda Somaaliyeed ee Cadan Dhammaadkii 70-kii,Waxaan si Weyn uga Xumahay Xaaladda Dalka iyo Dadka Somaaliyeed Waqtigan Ku Sugan yihiin,Dagaalada,Colaadaha Sokeeye iyo Xaalada weyn

ee Burburka ah,Dowlad la,aanta iyo kala daadsanaanta Umadeedba

Gaar ahaan-Dagaalada Khasaaraha wewyn sababay oo ka socdo 7-da

Casho Caasimada qranka Muqdisho iyo guud ahaanba tacadiyadda Xad dhaafka ah ee loo geeystay Ummadda Somaaliyeed.

15-Ka May maalintii taariikhdi ah xusuusteeda iyo xurmadeeda

weyn leh,lama illaawaan ah,xuskeena mudnaan gaar ah leeyahay,

Ummadda Somaaliyeed waxaan ugu Hambalyeeynaayaa xuska 15-ka

May,Anigoo Alle ugu rajeeyeey Aasaasayaashii iyo xubnihii AYL

Intooda Xigaabatey in uu janadii ka waraabiyo,Intooda noolna

Caafimaad,Camal Suuban iyo cimri dheer siiyo,Amiin.

SOO MAAL   

WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR YOUTH?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR YOUTH?

COMMENTARY

BY M.M. Afrah,

Toronto (Canada)

Having been raised as a "good boy" and changing over to become a sluggish copy boy in a newspaper office and later climbing up the ladder to become an editor and then editor-in-chief. But as I got older, I thought I liked to think that I have a strong sense of right and wrong. I joined anti-colonial demonstrations and with the help of hand operated press we printed inflammatory anti-colonial leaflets that naturally upset our colonial masters.

The Somali Youth League (SYL) formerly the Somali Youth Club (SYC) was formed by 13 devoted Somali youngsters who fought relentlessly for independence in their own way. Their slogan was 'XORNNIMO AMA GERI" (independence or death). Thousands of like minded boys, girls and elders joined them in their wholehearted and noble struggle. They all had grand dreams for the future of Somalia. Hence, the nationalist song "Soomaaliyey toosa." This Wake Up call paved the way for full independence in July 1960 despite various obstacles put up by you know who.

I also know that young students, like George Padmore, Kwame Nkrumah, Du Bois and Jomo Kenyatta among others created the great Pan Africanist movement in Britain in the 1930s and 1940s. From that humble beginning Africa sprung up to a full independence in 1960 when dozens of African countries became independent which subsequently led to the creation of the Organization of African Unity (OAU). Unfortunately, old Haile Selassie hijacked the organization and used it to undermine Somalia's fledging independence, convincing African heads of state that infant Somali government was an expansionist. Our delegates have been outnumbered and outmaneuvered by the emperor and his like minded cohorts within the OAU. As a result of these behind the scene machinations, a calamity was in the making in the form of border skirmishes intermingled with war of words. And eventually a full-scale war that claimed the lives of our youth in the spring of their lives. Historians now link those very machinations with the present conflict in Somalia as well as the volatile situation in the Horn of Africa. But that's another story.

What bugs me most is why our contemporary youth became docile and indifferent to the grim events in our country? I understand that not all people can get along due to the cancer of clan loyalties back home. But would it not make more sense for the youth in the Diaspora to join together and step out into the world as a unified force to bring about peace in their native country?

Now I may be an old fashioned man who has gone through the mills, but I am sure I am not the first person who has entertained this notion. Take for example the postings on the Banadir Public Forum by Libangedon who has been preaching a united Somali youth to fight the villains at home who ruined our country and reduced our people to paupers and corpses. The country became rapidly without government and people, a country where foreigners who wanted could come in and could go out at will without so much as by your leave. As a matter of fact a foreign diplomat described Somalia, unlike Afghanistan, as a fruit hanging from a tree (READY TO BE PICKED UP!).

This was not the way the founders of the SYL visualized that Somalia should be run, and that it needed to be put straight. That's where you come in. You should not expect manna to fall from the sky. Only you could make a difference. It is not for me to say who is called to lead the United Somali Youth and who is not. It is not for me to say whether or not someone is qualified to start the new movement or not, it just seems to me to be unnecessary to have the Somali youth divided along clan lines forever. I had always believed that the youth in the Diaspora are free from that cancer called tribalism or clanism.

This leads me to wonder what is wrong with our youth today? I believe many would say I am a dinosaur and that boys wearing ear rings and spending hours glued to the BET channel, listening to rap music or wearing over sized pants are "the in thing". But I ask myself: do those Pan Africanists and the founders of the Somali Youth League long time ago did not know what they were doing and as such it is necessary to be ashamed to be a Somali, and that boys wearing ear rings and watching the BET channel day in and day out is "Cool". I am sure BET will never teach you how to rebuild the country from the ashes of vicious clan wars or resuscitate the economy. Today the old Wake up Call is as important as it was 50 or 60 years ago.

No doubt that after you have been uprooted from your native country by nasty people with guns, it has been challenging living in the Diaspora face-to-face with stone-faced immigration honchos, beefy security men and bullying landlords. But thanks to our Somali ingenuity and tenacity we are still standing and it is time to begin to look ahead to all the good things the old country has in store for us in the near future.

You may have faltered, you may have stumbled or you may even have considered yourself an outright failure, but dear future leaders of Somalia I want you to rise and prepare yourself for tomorrow. There is nothing you can do about what had happened to our country during the last ten years. Yes, the past may be a story written in blood but the future can be written in gold. Do not be discouraged about the sad stories emanating daily from Somalia. For almost every great country on earth had gone through similar turmoil, or even worse. Here are few examples, the American and Spanish civil wars, not to mention the devastation of the Two World Wars and the Bolshevik Revolution that claimed the lives of millions of people. Again, it was the youth and the womenfolk who rebuilt their countries from scratch under extreme difficult circumstances.

The ball is NOW in your court.

I VALUE YOUR COMMENTS AND ENCOURAGE YOU TO SEND YOUR EMAILS TO ME OR TO THE PUBLIC FORUM www. Banadir.com (IT IS GOING TO BE THE BEDROCK OF A FUTURE BOOK, HOPEFULLY).

Afrah95@hotmail.com

SOO MAAL   

GENERAL ASSEMBLY (RESOLUTION (VII): CONCERNING HEARING OF PETITIONERS FROM THE TRUST TERRITORY OF SOMALILAND UNDER ITALIAN ADMINISTRATION. NEW YORK, 1953.

Mr. ISSA (Somali Youth League): On behalf of the President and the members of the Central Committee of the Somali Youth League, I wish to express my deep thanks to the President and the members of the Trusteeship Council for granting me this opportunity to make an oral statement in connection with the petitions submitted by the league.

The Somali Youth League is an indigenous political organization established in May 1943 and active since that time throughout Somaliland. The League's principal aim is the uniting of Somaliland, now divided into five parts, and the independence of a united Somaliland within the shortest possible time.

Despite the fact that the General Assembly of the United Nations has decided that the Trust Territory of Somaliland shall become independent by 1960, a large section of the politically minded Somalis have publicly expressed their doubt that such a solemn decision will be successfully implemented within the time fixed. The main cause of the doubt and fear is the possibility that the Government of Italy might seek and easily obtain an extension of the period so as to rule the Territory longer than envisaged in the original decision of the General Assembly. In addition, we have noticed that Somaliland is often described as an extremely poor country, the Somalis as a very positive people, and so on. I quote from a speech recently delivered by one of the members of the United Nations Advisory Council for Somaliland, the very same Council set up by the General Assembly of the United Nations as the guardian of the paramount interests and welfare of the indigenous inhabitants of the Territory:

"If to the grinding poverty of the Territory we add the fact that nine-tenths of its inhabitants live under a tribal system dating from Biblical times and that, owing to the low standard of education, there is not a single university graduate in the whole Territory, this Council will share or at least understand, our doubts. We think that everybody shares these doubts in silence... [T/PV, 463, para. 65].

It seems to us that the one and only purpose of capitalizing these and similar arguments is to retard the independence, which our country is due to obtain in about seven years from now.

May I be permitted to point out that the similar arguments were advanced at one time or another to delay the independence of several countries now Member States of this world body. If the Trusteeship Council and the representative of Italy reaffirming the General Assembly's decision that Somaliland shall become independent by 1960 could adopt a joint resolution, it would contribute greatly to removing the suspicion and thus restoring the confidence of the Somali people in the United Nations, as well as in the Republic of Italy. I respectfully urge the representatives here to consider adopting such a resolution during the present session of the Council.

The present tendency to set up within the Trust Territory of Somaliland three separate tribal States, namely, the Digh il and Mir ifle State, the State of Hawi ya and the State of Da rot, is equally alarming.

During the examination of petitions from Somaliland by the Standing Committee on Petitions the representative of the Administering Authority mentioned several times the infiltration of foreign elements into the districts of Baidoa and of Merca. Obviously, the foreign elements referred to are the Somalis from other regions within the Trust Territory who reside in the districts of Baidoa and of Merca, either temporarily or permanently. Undoubtedly this statement of the special representative will contribute to strengthening our suspicion that plans to this effect may be already under consideration. Should such plans be carried out, we should find ourselves in the unhappiest position of witnessing a further partition of our beloved country, which, as I stated earlier, is already partitioned into five parts. Instead of uniting these five areas and thus achieving the legitimate aspirations of our people, Somaliland would be partitioned into eight parts. Needless to say, the creation of these separate States based on purely tribal lines would encourage the tendency of some ignorant elements that wish to maintain the traditional tribal and feudal system, which has delayed the progress of our country and our people for a long period. I respectfully request the President and the members of the Trusteeship Council the to invite the special representative of the Administering representative of Italy Assembly's decision that authority to make clear the Administration's position in regard to this matter.

The Somali Youth League has submitted petitions concerning the political, economic, social and educational problems of the Trust Territory of Somaliland. A number of these contain complaints of political persecution against members of the League etc. These latter petitions were submitted at a time when the political temperature of the Territory was rather high. I have been informed that in recent months the temperature has dropped considerably and that the relations between the Italian Administration of the Territory and the Somali Youth League have improved. To contribute towards further improvement in such relations, the leaders of the League have instructed me officially not to press, during the current session of the Trusteeship Council, the complaints contained in some of the petitions, which we submitted earlier. For the records of the council, I wish to state that the specific complaints submitted by the Somali Youth League, particularly those concerning the serious incidents which took place in the Territory during 1951 and 1952, are based on facts.

The present Italian Administration in Somaliland was set up in April 1950. It is an undeniable fact that the legislation functioning at present in the Territory still consists mainly of royal decrees, departmental decrees, Italian laws and penal code, the old Somaliland judiciary system etc., all enacted during the pre-war colonial régime, plus a number of military proclamations passed by the war-time British military administration in Somaliland. This "legislation, which is entirely inconsistent with the new status of the Territory, has undoubtedly caused most, if not all, of the numerous complaints received from Somaliland.

The Administering Authority should be urged to abrogate such legislation without further delay and replace it by enacting more appropriate and democratic legislation. At the same time, the Administering Authority should be invited to guarantee the absolute independence of the judiciary.

The Administering Authority should also be urged to abolish, without further delay, the system of Residents, commissioners, government-paid tribal chiefs, etc., inherited from the past colonial régime. A more democratic system, such as the setting up of city and district councils composed of qualified Somalis elected directly by the people, should replace it.

The Administering Authority has announced that plans concerning partial municipal elections to be held in some centers of the Territory are now under consideration. These plans seem to be rather complicated and confusing; nevertheless, it would be a great step forward to start introducing elections in the Territory. In consultation with both the Advisory Council for Somaliland and the Somali people, the Administering Authority should endeavor to complete, at the earliest possible time, the drafting of a simplified electoral law for the Territory's municipal councils, as well as for all other existing consultative organs, such as the Territorial Council, and all proposed bodies. Universal suffrage should be established and limitations requiring the possession of certain property or educational qualifications should be excluded in the proposed electoral.

In connection with elections, I wish to point out the fact that under the existing laws of the Territory, an electoral campaign -- which is essential for elections in every democratic country--is virtually impossible. The reason is that one of the provisions of Proclamation No. 4 of 1954 states that a group of five persons or more, gathered outside at standing in the streets constitutes a public offence accordingly, persons forming such a group are liable to be arrested, convicted and imprisoned. Despite the recommendation of the 1951 United Nations Visiting Mission to East Africa, to the effect that that undemocratic proclamation should be abrogated, 8 Proclamation No. 4 is in force at this date. The Administrating Authority should be urged to repeal it before introducing to the proposed elections in the Territory.

I wish to point out also that our branches throughout the Lower Giuba Province -- one of the most important provinces of the Territory -- have been banned since August of last year and that the Somali Youth League activities there are completely suspended. The Administering Authority should be wise enough -to consider permitting us to reopen the S.Y.L. branches in that province--once the League's stronghold--and have it thus resume its normal activities before the elections. Despite the unfavorable position in which our organization finds itself, the Somali Youth League welcomes the immediate introduction of elections in Somaliland. The League is, and has always been, in favor of introducing the system of elections in our country, so that the Somali people would have a chance to choose, in a proper and democratic way, their true representatives.

At present the legislative powers of the Territory are entirely in the hands of the Administrator, who is also the chief executive of the Administration. The Administrator issues ordinances which are, in effect, the new laws, since Somaliland was placed under the Inter-national Trusteeship System more than three years ago. The Administering Authority should he invited to transfer the legislation powers to the Somalis without further delay, since the sovereignty of the Territory resides in its people. At the same time, the Administering Authority should be advised to set up, prior to the transfer of the legislative powers, proper legislative organs composed of qualified elements directly elected by the Somali people.

The Government of Italy, the Advisory Council for Somaliland, the Trusteeship Council and the General Assembly of the United Nations should study ways and means to speed up the effective Somalization of the administration. The Somalization of the Administration can and must be completed within the next three years at the latest, and immediately thereafter the Territory should be granted full self-government. This will enable the Somalis to acquire enough knowledge and experience to administer their country fairly by 1960, when the Territory is expected to gain its complete independence.

It is the expressed desire of our people to have a Somali national flag. This desire of the Somali people to have a national flag of their own should receive the sympathetic consideration it deserves. One of the members of the Advisory Council for Somaliland has recently stated:

"During the remaining years of the trusteeship administration the Somali people should be given the right to fly and otherwise display their national emblem... This would have a tremendous psychological effect upon the rank and file of the indigenous population. It would be symbolic of the new and enlightened era in Somaliland, a constant reminder to all Somalis….that the day of their freedom and independence is near at hand and that therefore , all should do their share of the labor. Moreover, it would constantly remind the people --for that is what the flag stands for that they are one nation undivided, sharing one common aspiration and that they should, therefore, it begin to five and act as one, in terms of their national rather than their tribal, interests." [T/PV.463 para.24].

I regret to remind the members of the Trusteeship Council of the lack of an over-al economic plan for the Trust Territory despite the fact that the Territory has been under United Nations supervision for the past three years. As I stated earlier, it has been over emphasized that Somaliland is a poor country. The country is poor, and reason is that it has never been exploited properly. In the opinion of the United Nations Technical Assistance Mission, which visited the Territory in "1951," there are great possibilities of improving Somaliland's basic economy: agriculture and livestock. The Administering Authority should take into account the constructive recommendations submitted by the Technical Assistance Mission and spare no time to complete the Territory's over-all economic plan in the near future.

I also regret to state that the Somali people have neither been consulted nor informed of steps taken concerning important economic matters of the Territory such as the oil concessions given to two foreign private companies, despite the fact that this may affect the entire economic outlook of the country. If successful results are obtained from the current research operations, this vital question of oil concession should be reviewed and revised in accordance with the reasonable conditions existing in neighboring countries. The legality of the Administering Authority's power to extend concessions, mineral or otherwise, beyond 1960 should be investigated.

Both the Trusteeship Council and the General Assembly of the United Nations must take all necessary steps to safeguard the paramount interests of the indigenous inhabitants in the Trust Territory of Somaliland. The Council and Assembly must see to it that the new Somali State will not find itself in the unfortunate position of being deprived of its rights to grant such concessions within the borders of its own Territory. To avoid misunderstandings, I wish to state that the Somali Youth League recognizes the utmost necessity of inviting, and indeed encouraging in every way possible, private capital investments from abroad to contribute to the economic development of our country, particularly in regard of such enterprises as oil drilling, mining, establishment of industries etc. On the other hand it is the sacred duty of the league to stand as the faithful guardian of the vital interests of Somaliland and the Somali people…rest of the speech omitted-

ABDULLAHI ISSA MOHAMUD REPRESENTATIVE OF THE SOMALI YOUTH LEAGUE'S SPEECH AT UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY

(Page 3 of 3)

The Government of Italy, the Advisory Council for Somaliland, the Trusteeship Council and the General Assembly of the United Nations should study ways and means to speed up the effective Somalization of the administration. The Somalization of the Administration can and must be completed within the next three years at the latest, and immediately thereafter the Territory should be granted full self-government. This will enable the Somalis to acquire enough knowledge and experience to administer their country fairly by 1960, when the Territory is expected to gain its complete independence.

It is the expressed desire of our people to have a Somali national flag. This desire of the Somali people to have a national flag of their own should receive the sympathetic consideration it deserves. One of the members of the Advisory Council for Somaliland has recently stated:

"During the remaining years of the trusteeship administration the Somali people should be given the right to fly and otherwise display their national emblem... This would have a tremendous psychological effect upon the rank and file of the indigenous population. It would be symbolic of the new and enlightened era in Somaliland, a constant reminder to all Somalis….that the day of their freedom and independence is near at hand and that therefore , all should do their share of the labor. Moreover, it would constantly remind the people --for that is what the flag stands for that they are one nation undivided, sharing one common aspiration and that they should, therefore, it begin to five and act as one, in terms of their national rather than their tribal, interests." [T/PV.463 para.24].

I regret to remind the members of the Trusteeship Council of the lack of an over-al economic plan for the Trust Territory despite the fact that the Territory has been under United Nations supervision for the past three years. As I stated earlier, it has been over emphasized that Somaliland is a poor country. The country is poor, and reason is that it has never been exploited properly. In the opinion of the United Nations Technical Assistance Mission, which visited the Territory in "1951," there are great possibilities of improving Somaliland's basic economy: agriculture and livestock. The Administering Authority should take into account the constructive recommendations submitted by the Technical Assistance Mission and spare no time to complete the Territory's over-all economic plan in the near future.

I also regret to state that the Somali people have neither been consulted nor informed of steps taken concerning important economic matters of the Territory such as the oil concessions given to two foreign private companies, despite the fact that this may affect the entire economic outlook of the country. If successful results are obtained from the current research operations, this vital question of oil concession should be reviewed and revised in accordance with the reasonable conditions existing in neighboring countries. The legality of the Administering Authority's power to extend concessions, mineral or otherwise, beyond 1960 should be investigated.

Both the Trusteeship Council and the General Assembly of the United Nations must take all necessary steps to safeguard the paramount interests of the indigenous inhabitants in the Trust Territory of Somaliland. The Council and Assembly must see to it that the new Somali State will not find itself in the unfortunate position of being deprived of its rights to grant such concessions within the borders of its own Territory. To avoid misunderstandings, I wish to state that the Somali Youth League recognizes the utmost necessity of inviting, and indeed encouraging in every way possible, private capital investments from abroad to contribute to the economic development of our country, particularly in regard of such enterprises as oil drilling, mining, establishment of industries etc. On the other hand it is the sacred duty of the league to stand as the faithful guardian of the vital interests of Somaliland and the Somali people…rest of the speech omitted-

(This letter was taken from the new book, Somalia: A Chronology of Historical Documents 1827 - 2000 . By: Abdiwahid Haji)|

SOO MAAL   

POLITICAL PARTIES

In place of political parties, clans and sub-clans currently vie for political power in Somalia.

Prior to October 1969, Somalia had a multiparty system of government where opposition in parliament came from within the majority party as well as from opposition parties. The Somali Youth League (SYL), the largest party, was formed in 1943 as the Somali Youth Club. Its program included the unification of all Somalis (including those in Kenya, Ethiopia, and French Somaliland); social, political, and economic development; and nonalignment in international affairs. It represented almost all government personnel, entrepreneurs, and skilled and quasi-skilled workers of the southern area, formerly Italian Somaliland. In the first national elections after independence, held on 30 March 1964, the SYL won an absolute majority of 69 of the 123 parliamentary seats. The remaining seats were divided among 11 parties. In general elections held in March 1969, the ruling SYL, led by Mohammed Ibrahim Egal, was returned to power. A total of 64 political parties contested the elections.