Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Pregnant rape victim fears arrest after delivery

N.O.R.F   

Another mother baby article

Pregnant rape victim fears arrest after delivery

By Nina Muslim, Staff Reporter

Dubai: A receptionist who got pregnant after allegedly being raped by her employer, fears her delivery date as she may get arrested over illicit relationship charges or her baby taken away.

"Fatima", who requested anonymity by giving a fake name, told Gulf News that she has not made any arrangements to deliver even though she was likely due in October. She does not know her due date as she has never seen a doctor about her pregnancy, partly due to her fears.

"Because I don't have a husband or a marriage certificate, the hospital may call the police," she said.

"I'm scared right now. I don't know if they will take the child or send me to prison."

Currently staying at a women's shelter in Dubai, she said she did not bear her unborn child any ill will, despite the way it was conceived, saying that he or she was innocent.

UAE laws prohibit sexual relations outside of marriage, or illicit relationships. Unmarried pregnant foreign women usually serve a short sentence in prison before being deported along with their children.

Rape victims are exempt from these laws as long as they have official documents testifying to the fact.

Fatima said she has approached the police two weeks ago for a letter that would guarantee her safe passage at the hospital.

However, the letter the police gave her last week did not alleviate her worries as she said it was ambiguous.

"It does not say I should not be arrested," she said. An official with the Dubai Police Department of Human Rights told Gulf News that Fatima needed to apply for another letter that would explain that her pregnancy was the outcome of an alleged crime.

He added that the letter should also say that nobody should give her problems about her delivery.

"If she goes to the hospital with the letter, she will not get arrested. Nobody should arrest her or take the baby if she has it," he said. He also said that her alleged rapist has been arrested and that the case has gone to the Public Prosecution Office.

The usual source

bilan   

what an injustice :mad: , it is really amazing how these muslim countries apply their islamic laws, it's always applied only to women, then we wonder why non-muslims believe muslim women are oppressed. the only way these things can be stopped is if women from those countries stand up and fight their Allah given rights.