Che -Guevara

Somaliland and Ethiopia signs "Historic" MoU on access to Red Sea and Establishment of Naval Base

Illyria   

I do not like foreigner armies on Somali soil, but am aboard with Muslims any day of the week. I just want to see those fucking fufus out of Xamar (I can not believe I am so intolerant, and said that, but I am heartbroken to see AMISOM soldiers on every trip to Xamar).

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

I do not like foreigner armies on Somali soil, but am aboard with Muslims any day of the week. I just want to see those fucking fufus out of Xamar (I can not believe I am so intolerant, and said that, but I am heartbroken to see AMISOM soldiers on every trip to Xamar).

If Pland and Sland can build enough forces to secure peace so can Xamar granted Xamar is a unique case.

It seemed to me federal leadership to rob the country or staying in power, everything else is secondary.  And there's no sense of shame anymore.

Egyptians would only add to the complication.

Illyria   

In my trips to Xamar, I always like to engage the youth, elderly, and common man / woman on the streets of this once pearl of a city, and to my astonishment, people come across as if they are content with the chaos. I can not explain as to the reasons, but it is a phenomenon not found elsewhere in the country.
Could it be:
    a) Due to the fact they have been farmers for far too long, they no longer have the nomadic spirit?
    b) So tired of conflict, they have become so submissive, too far gone beyond redemption?
    c) Or have they always been like that? 
    d) Or have they been mixing with the bantus, their genes have been diluted?

Somaliland accepts credentials of Ethiopia’s new ambassador as military and diplomatic ties deepen 

Thursday August 29, 2024

Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi accepts the credentials from Ethiopia's newly appointed Ambassador Teshome Shunde Hamito during a formal ceremony at the presidential palace in Hargeisa, marking a significant step in strengthening military and diplomatic relations between Somaliland and Ethiopia. CREDIT / Somaliland Presidential Office

Hargeisa (HOL) — Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi received the credentials of Ethiopia's newly appointed representative, Ambassador Teshome Shunde Hamito, on Thursday at the presidential palace in Hargeisa. The move marks a major step in the deepening of military and diplomatic relationship between Somaliland and Ethiopia despite escalating tensions with Somalia.

The credentialing ceremony in Hargeisa comes shortly after Ethiopia reportedly upgraded its consular office in Somaliland to complete embassy status, a move confirmed by Somaliland but not officially by Ethiopia. 

advertisements

During their meeting, the two officials discussed critical regional security issues in the Horn of Africa, the enhancement of bilateral relations, and future cooperation between Somaliland and Ethiopia.

The diplomatic change comes nearly nine months after Somaliland and Ethiopia signed a contentious  Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that has upended regional dynamics. The deal includes military cooperation and the controversial lease of 20 kilometres of Somaliland's coastline to Ethiopia.

This development has been met with strong opposition from Somalia, which considers Somaliland part of its sovereign territory. In response, Somalia expelled Ethiopia's ambassador and ordered the closure of Ethiopian consulates in Hargeisa and Garowe, though Ethiopia has ignored these directives.

The tensions have extended into the military realm, with Somalia excluding Ethiopian forces from the upcoming African Union Support Mission in Somalia (AUSSOM) unless Ethiopia withdraws from the MoU. International efforts to mediate the dispute, including talks hosted by Turkey, have so far failed to resolve the conflict.

I believe the Ethiopians are at a brick wall now the bunker isn’t entertaining them any more and they have choosen their allegiance is with Egypt.

and if they lose their role as part of atmis .  It will be another loss.

though they have upgraded their embassy in hargeisa ,and I am also hearing a military delegation form Ethiopia will head to Somaliland.

not sure if it is the chief of staff of Ethiopia or the defense ministe r

The huffing & puffing from regressive-cum-revisionist elements that covet Eritrea's inalienable & sovereign lands seems to be on the rise again! Ignorance; reckless arrogance & imperial hubris; and perhaps a toxic mix of both, are apparently at work. This is not what the peoples of the region who broadly cherish peace and stability wish or deserve. And in any case, these are perilous red lines and political/legal apostasies which should never be contemplated...

Yemane Meskel

Eritrea Minister of Information

https://x.com/hawelti/status/1829505004635292110

Djibouti offers Ethiopia 100% port control to defuse MoU crisis 

Saturday August 31, 2024

FILE - Djibouti Foreign Minister Mahmoud Ali Youssouf during a meeting.

Mogadishu (HOL) — Djibouti has proposed granting Ethiopia "100 percent management" of one of its ports in a bid to deescalate rising tensions stemming from the controversial Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Ethiopia and Somaliland. 

In an interview with the BBC, Djibouti's Foreign Minister Mahmoud Ali Youssouf stressed the importance of maintaining regional stability and respect for national sovereignty. "We are offering Ethiopia 100 percent management of a port in the new corridor that has already been built," Youssouf said. The proposed port in Tadjoura, just 100 kilometres from the Ethiopian border, is seen as a strategic alternative to the disputed Somaliland port deal. "Access to the sea for Ethiopia will not be a problem," he added, framing the offer as a practical solution that could help defuse the escalating crisis.

advertisements

Youssouf, a candidate for the next African Union Commission (AUC) Chairperson, also emphasized the need for dialogue, stating, "The positions of both countries on the issue are very far, very asymmetric, and we need them maybe to think about compromise dialogue. I think once they sit around the table of negotiations with the help of countries like Djibouti, Kenya and others in the region, they can find a compromise. But something is very central in these discussions; the sovereignty of countries should be respected."

The MoU, signed earlier this year, has sparked intense opposition from Somalia, which views Somaliland as an integral part of its territory. The MoU has inflamed public sentiment, with protests erupting in Mogadishu and other parts of the country. 

Somalia's government has made it clear that it will not engage in direct talks with Ethiopia unless the MoU is revoked. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has launched a vigorous diplomatic campaign against the agreement, expelling the Ethiopian ambassador and threatening to expel thousands of Ethiopian troops stationed in Somalia unless the MoU is revoked.

Youssouf reiterated Djibouti's concern for Somalia's position, noting, "Somalia said that it's important that Somalia is listened to and that their plea and message are heard by each and every one." 

Djibouti, already a critical hub for Ethiopian trade, stands to solidify its role as Ethiopia's primary gateway to the sea while maintaining its economic interests. According to Youssouf, the offer was made by Djibouti's President Ismail Omar Guelleh as a gesture to promote dialogue and prevent further escalation of tensions between Somalia and Ethiopia.

Ethiopia's interest in the Somaliland port is driven by its long-standing desire for sea access, a critical issue for the landlocked nation since losing its coastline following Eritrea's independence in 1993. Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has made it clear that gaining sea access is a top priority for his administration, and the MoU with Somaliland is seen as a step toward fulfilling that ambition. The naval base proposed under the MoU would be a significant step toward Ethiopia's goal of becoming a regional maritime power. However, this ambition has raised alarms in neighbouring countries, including Djibouti and Egypt, both of which have strategic interests in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

For Somaliland, the MoU with Ethiopia represents a potential breakthrough in its decades-long quest for international recognition. Since declaring independence from Somalia in 1991, Somaliland has operated with de facto autonomy. However, this move has drawn internal opposition and heightened regional tensions, particularly with Djibouti, which sees the deal as threatening its economic interests.

The relationship between Somaliland and Djibouti has also deteriorated since Somaliland and Ethiopia signed an MoU. Earlier this year, Somaliland President Muse Bihi accused Djibouti of hosting rebels against Somaliland. The Minister of Finance of Djibouti, Ilyas Musa Dawaleh, has denied the accusations.

The Ethiopia-Somaliland MoU and the ensuing diplomatic crisis have also raised security concerns. Somalia has indicated that it does not want Ethiopian troops to be part of the new mission unless the MoU is rescinded. Al-Shabaab, the Islamist militant group that has been waging an insurgency in Somalia for over a decade, could exploit the situation to its advantage.

Youssouf expressed concern over the potential for the conflict to affect regional security, particularly in light of existing threats. "We are all already affected by what has been done so far by the terrorist group Al Shabaab in our region. Right now, we are faced with attacks from the Houthi Group in the Gulf of Aden and the Strait of Bab-el-Mandeb. Although Djibouti is a stable country and quite safe, we cannot say that tensions in the neighbouring countries do not affect us."

The international response to the MoU has largely favoured Somalia's position. The G7, Arab League, OIC, and several Western countries have all condemned the agreement, emphasizing the importance of maintaining Somalia's territorial integrity. Turkey has emerged as a key mediator, hosting unsuccessful talks between Somalia and Ethiopia in Ankara. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will host a second round of negotiations in mid-September. Egypt, which has its own disputes with Ethiopia over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), has emerged as a strong supporter of Somalia in this crisis.

Youssouf concluded with a call for de-escalation, saying, "We are calling on both governments and countries to deescalate first in the narratives and the rhetorics. Djibouti is ready to resume its mediation with the help of Kenya and other countries in the region."

Djibouti's offer to Ethiopia is a major development in the ongoing crisis. As Ethiopia's key economic and strategic partner, Djibouti's willingness to offer an alternative to the Somaliland port could help ease tensions and prevent further escalation.