Cowke

Captain Sarath Weerewansa: Somaliland GOVT Bunch Of Terrorist and Pirates

Cowke   

Captain%20Weerewansa.jpg

Captain Sarath Weerewansa of the ship M.V. Leila. Pictures by Rukmal Gamage

Behind the lines of pirates

Daily News (Sri Lanka)

AprilGamage 09, 2010

Sri Lanka, April 9 -- Being captive by a ruthless gang of pirates is the worst kind of nightmare one could imagine. For Captain Sarath Weerewansa of the ship M.V. Leila it was an experience of living hell. Being dehydrated for days, not being fed properly and just being treated like slaves in a place where there is no democracy, rules and regulations, is truly something you don`t want to dream of or wake up to. Here he relates in detail how he and his crew were bundled out from the ship he commanded and held prisoner in the most anguishing conditions.

Captain Weerewansa returned to his motherland two weeks ago after being freed from the clutches of Somaliland administration. However, the twist to the tale, according to him is that the Somaliland Government was working hand in glove with the pirates.

Piracy in Somaliland is a great impediment on the cargo movements. The Somaliland Government now in power is not in a position to combat this menace as the pirates are overwhelmingly powerful than the state authorities. But the adventure story woven around Captain Weerewansa has nothing to do with pirates. Actually, it is an exception.

`This was not a dealing I had to do with pirates. We were taken into custody by Somaliland State Government, he added with a feeling of despise.

When asked what took him to Somaliland he said, `Somaliland wasn`t my destination, but the sister ship launched before us was caught up with fire, I was behind them. They met with that accident in Somali waters. So the owner of my shipping company told me to go to them and help in any possible way. When I embarked there the crew of my sister vessel had been taken into custody. So that was the same fate I also had to undergo.

Revealing the reason behind for such an arrest Captain Weerawansa said that Somaliland clamp a US $ 2.5 fine to release the ship. So Somaliland authorities told us to tolerate the things until our shipping company pay the fine.

`But the company was not that quick to pay the fine and release us. We were optimistic of a rapid release. But nothing of the kind happened. They say it is a democratic Government. Their democracy was proved by the way they treated us. They treated us in a very appalling way. Actually they didn`t know what democracy was. It was a bunch of terrorists ruling the country.

The crew of my sister ship was assaulted and tortured by the authorities. August 7 was the day on which we were arrested. Two days after the arrest the ship was taken into the pier. I was able to contact the owner of my ship and he was telling me he was doing his very best to release us. He was asking for time.

A week became a month. Month became many months. To take the ship out of Somali waters we were asked for the port clearance certificate. But we were unable to submit that certificate as we were under arrest. Captain Weerawansa thought it best not to inform the family the circumstance he was under. Now already three months had passed. He was helpless thinking about the plight his family would have had to confront if he was not released forthwith.

`But I didn`t tell them what was happening around me thinking that they will be scared. I expected the company and other accountable authorities to do their best to get us released. But that was not what really happened. `My hopes began waning when I felt the owner ignoring my plight. He avoided answering the phone. Ultimately he severed the connections he had with us.

There was a shortage of food and water. No words can describe the difficulties we had to face, revealed Captain Weerawansa. A Somaliland Journalist got an interview from me. It was published in their paper. Ultimately the plight we were undergoing in this unknown land was leaked to the international media.

They had a field day interviewing me over telephone. `Somaliland State is not doing the right thing, not sending us to our motherlands. This is not a Government but a bunch of terrorists administrating the country. This is not a country of democracy but a country of piracy` was the response he marketed to the international media`

Weerewansa and crew were detained under no court order. He appealed to the international community to stop sending their ships to Somaliland. This is not a court in the real sense of the word. This is a Kangaroo court and only the jungle law reigns in the country. His words went reverberating in the international scene. As a result some countries avoided sending ships to Somaliland. My allegations hurt the Somaliland Government.

The President of Somaliland made a friendly approach towards us. They took us to hotel where a media gaggle was organized. So they told me to speak good about Somaliland letting down my former allegations in the presence of international media. I saw some men who are around us with AK 47s and other arms.

But I was not shaken. I was adamant and repeated my allegations without letting down my criticism against the Somaliland Government. I told the Somaliland government officials to shoot me down without taking me and my crew to task.

The approach the Somaliland Government adopted on us changed its colours meanwhile. They came up with an idea I never expected. They asked me to change my religion, then marry a Somali woman and serve Somaliland. In response to their suggestion I told them that I have a wife and a child back in Sri Lanka. I told what I expected from them was my quick release. But there were only negative answers available; they were actually taking revenge over what I have done. I tarnished their image in the presence of international media. They were penalizing us.

When food and water was running out they took a long time to replenish. I went from pillar to post asking my release. But most of the officials showed their unconcern, most of the discussions I had with them ended up with heated arguments.

If I tell you frankly the helplessness I felt, when the ship`s owner was online I asked what was happening`.

He told me he was not competent to do anything. I demanded why he didn`t tell me earlier about this in which case I could do something worthwhile without having my faith in you. `Is this the way I am rewarded with for looking after your ship? I demanded. Some Indians in my crew thought to take their life in water.

My health condition was deteriorating. I was hospitalized twice. Second time was due to diarrhea. Though they didn`t torture us physically they did mentally.

How they were released

The crew of my sister ship was released under a court order. But still we were detained. I struggled with my argument Law is law. But the official seemed not flexible enough. Ultimately they had to release us as they couldn`t withstand the international pressure unleashed on them. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the High Commissioner in Nairobi, Jayanatha Dissanayaka for his untiring efforts to take me out of that hell. Ultimately on March 24 we came to Sri Lanka. First we arrived in Nairobi, where I can remember how Jayantha Dissanayaka and Deputy High Commissioner Mahesh were there to welcome us. They arranged a party for us. But I was in a critical condition caused by diaherria.

During my detention my family had lot of hardships. My telephone line and the electricity were cut off. But when my wife told Sri Lanka Telecom and Electricity Board the conditions we were in they supplied the facility unhindered, I should admire SLT for providing the facility as it was the only way possible for me to hear the voice of my wife and child - the only solace I had.

Captain Weerawansa has not yet been paid for 7 months by his company. The company owner had changed the name of the company in fear of prosecution. I seek the help of media to go before international human rights.

I need to take legal action against Somaliland Government for torturing me and my crew. But I know next to nothing about the procedure I will have to follow. So I request from able authorities to make me aware of the possibilities bringing those rascals to book,` concluded Weerewansa.

© Copyright 2010. HT Media Limited. All rights reserved.

Escape a miracle says seasoned captain

Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka)

March 28, 2010

M.V. Leila

Sri Lanka, March 28 -- “It`s a miracle,” Sarath Weerawansa (62) a seasoned captain who hold 33 years of experience as a seafarer, with more than hundred odd voyages along the pirate infested Gulf of Aden, confessed of his recent escape from lawless Somaliland.

The veteran skipper of MV “Lo Lo Leila” and two of his Sri Lankan officers, who were illegally held by the Somaliland authorities, along with two Pakistanis, for nearly seven months, for no fault of theirs arrived home on March 24.

The Sunday Observer heard their story on Friday.

On August 11 last year Weerawansa and his Chief Engineer left Sri Lanka for Dubai to take charge of the merchant vessel MV Lo Lo Leila, owned by Al Hufoof Shipping of Dubai.

“On the 27th of same month we left the harbour of Al Hamriya. We took a cargo of automobiles, oil, food, clothing and building material to the Somaliland Port of Berbera. One week before we set off, my sister vessel Mariam Star that was also captained by a Sri Lankan, left for the same port.

When I was at sea, about two days before reaching Berbera I received a message on my radio set that my sister vessel caught fire at the Harbour and the crew had been jailed.

I contacted my principals in Dubai and asked for instructions. I asked whether I should turn back. But he informed me to proceed with my cargo and assured that he will take care of everything. “

With his instructions Capt. Weerawansa reached Berbera on September 7 evening and berthed at the outer anchorage of the Port. Two days later the vessel was taken inside to discharge the cargo.

Capt. Weerawansa continued, “Later myself and my chief engineer went inside and visited the four Sri Lankans in jail. And I took the rest of the Mariam`s crew to my vessel. They were without food and other facilities.

On September 15th I completed discharging my cargo. When I got ready to sail off I was informed by my local ship agent that I cannot go since they will not issue the port clearance certificate. They notified the ship was under arrest.

I demanded to know why. I told him I have not done anything wrong, My cargo was intact, nothing was damaged nothing was missing. Then I was told the owner of the cargo in my ship `Omar` had claimed US $ 2.5 million from my principals for the destroyed cargo in Mariam Star.

This Somaliland owner had accused the crew of deliberately setting fire to the ship which was an utterly ridiculous claim. It was not backed by substantive proof.

Then we were shaken by another unexpected news that my principals in Dubai, the owner had refused to pay the damages. So until such time he settles the damages my ship and the crew was going to be detained. I was under custody. They took my vessel to the inner anchorage, kept two gunboats on either side and armed men on board as well as on the shore.

After one and a half months the four imprisoned Sri Lankans, Captain included, were released by the Somaliland `kangaroo courts`. I call them kangaroo courts because they found no evidence of foul play to arrest this crew and put them behind bars. They were innocent.”

Capt. Weerawansa took the four of them also on board MV Leila. After one month of their release the entire crew of Mariam Star which also included Indians were repatriated with the help of the Ship`s owner.

I was in the habit of talking to my owner on a daily basis to inform him of the developments. At first he assured that he will secure the release of the entire crew. Gradually we were running short of supplies; food, water and fuel. Our wages were not paid.

Then I slowly got the hint that this man was trying to avoid us. He was trying his best not to pick up the phone. We were totally neglected. By then we were virtually living on the supplies doled out by other ships manned by Sri Lankans, calling at Berbera.

I informed of the latest turn of events to my wife in Sri Lanka and Nairobi Sri Lanka High Commissioner Jayantha Dissanayake. Then through him, I don`t know how, one person - a journalist came and contacted me and published an article in the Somaliland newspaper Headlines.

Subsequent to this news article, a German national who was operating from Nairobi made contact with us. He arranged interviews with several media persons. I was able to speak to Gulf News, Voice of America and so many other international media on the phone and explain our plight.

I told them this is a land of terrorists. A bunch of hoodlums are administering the state and that there was no free judiciary. Everything taking place here is illegal.

When it was made public the whole world got worked up including the Somaliland rulers and the Port authorities. They immediately summoned me and threatened that I should withdraw my statement. I refused.

Then I started getting life threats from the Harbour master, Port Manager and the Somaliland officials. One day they took me to their capital Hargeisa that was 196 miles off Berbera. I was having a cyst near my eye. They told me they were taking me to a doctor. When we arrived I saw they had planned to have a press conference by me.

There were armed men inside and they threatened me to withdraw my statement at gun point. The camera focused on me. I repeated what I told the media earlier that this is a country of terrorists, run by state terrorism and state piracy. I will never deny what I said and you could do whatever you want.

I knew they could not harm me because by then the whole world was watching us and the Sri Lankan Foreign Ministry and Mr. Baur were closely monitoring the developments. On the way back I was mentally tortured as they could not bodily harm me. It had been six months since our illegal detention.

By this time I had fifteen of my crew with me which included three Sri Lankans - myself, the Chief Engineer and the third Engineer. We had to go behind the Port officials for food. At times I had to press them for about five days to finally get them hand us some food supplies. Our moral was very low and some of my crew attempted suicide because the events that unfolded before us made us believe that there will be no release for us. We were just looking after the ship like slaves.

Our health was fast deteriorating. I was having acute diarrhoea.

But our Consulate in Nairobi continued their good work to keep our morals high. They kept saying we will take you out of that place, President Mahinda Rajapaksa and Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama have assured that to us, therefore keep faith.

Then we all decided to go on a death fast. Immediately our High Commissioner contacted us and requested me not to take such a harsh decision and get ourselves weak. The Foreign Ministry arranged for our airline tickets. The owner was refusing to pay for anything. Even with the tickets the Somalis refused to release us. The tickets were lying with the airline`s local agent in Somaliland.

About a week back I became very sick and they had to rush me to hospital in the middle of the night. They were also scared that someone might commit suicide. All these factors and the pressures from the Foreign Ministry made them finally give up on us.

They informed us that they found a substitute Somaliland crew for the ship and that we will be released. On March 22 we started the vessel and showed them that it was in good condition. Then around 10.30 am local time our shipping agent lowered us on to a tug boat, and upon reaching the shore we were immediately rushed to the Airport. We boarded the first flight to Nairobi at 11.40 am. We wanted to be out of that place as soon as possible.

Capt. Weerawansa spoke very highly of the staff at the Nairobi Sri Lankan consulate. “We had our first proper meal, consisting typical Sri Lankan dishes in Nairobi. The staff were extremely kind to us despite our less-human demeanour after being stranded and treated as slaves at the hands of the Somalis for nearly seven months.

Though his wife was able to communicate with him through the Foreign Ministry, she and his daughter were extremely worried and facing hardships without his salary for seven months.

He said despite the near death experience he was ready to continue as a seafarer as it was his loved career. But he will think twice before working for a Gulf shipping company hereafter as it will carry the risk of cruising through the notorious Gulf of Eden and possibly another voyage to one of the Somaliland ports.

He had called over at Berbera once before and had taken this risky route hundred times before. About two years back he called over at Mogadishu, where the fighting against insurgents taking place. But this had been his worst nightmare.

© Copyright 2010. HT Media Limited. All rights reserved.

Crew of MV Leila Finally Freed from Somaliland

by Venatrix Fulmen (ECOP-marine)

April 09, 2010

Berbera

The rump-crew of three Sri Lankans and two Pakistani nationals which was held with the vessel MV LEILA inside the Berbera harbour entangled in a legal tussle involving burned cargo on her sister ship MV MARIAM STAR has finally been freed today on Monday and could board a plane to Nairobi, where they will arrive this evening.

Mr. Mohamed Ghadeeb of Abu Dhabi, who stands accused as the vessel`s owner and who is behind Al Hufoof Shipping and another company named New Port Shipping - fronting as the owner-managers of these vessels - did never even go to Somaliland to solve the problems his shipping company has with a court ruling subjecting him to pay damages, fines as well as harbour and court charges. That he first of all abandoned the crew of MV LEILA for all that time they were stranded since August last year with their ship on a court-chain, a conning Somaliland port authority and an obvious ignorant governance is not taken lightly.

THE SHIPOWNER ABANDONED THE CREW AND IS NOW BLACKLISTED

Though all crew members had resigned from the company since long, they were illegally held by the General Manager of the Port Authority of Berbera and forced to take care of the vessel - a situation, which only can be described as hostage situation and slave labour enforced on an expatriate crew - a situation which tarnishes the reputation of Somaliland seriously.

The clandestine companies and their ships at the core of the case have in the meantime been blacklisted and every seafarer is aware which trouble he can get himself into, if he would accept to work for that owner - word in the harbours travels fast.

DEADLOCK BROKEN

ECOTERRA Intl., who had been requested to help by the crew and their governments, thanked the tireless efforts of the Governments of Sri Lanka and Pakistan, which together with their missions in Nairobi and Dubai and all concerned parties stood together to finally free all the expat crew.

Seven Indian nationals had been channelled out of Somaliland, though the Indian High Commissioner, who first had taken the diplomatic lead, had promised to achieve a release of the whole crew together.

STILL GRIEVANCES

Meanwhile these seven Indians are stuck at home with not only their wages for over six month not paid, but with a bill which was slapped on them from their own ministry, claiming the air-travel costs and restricting the seafarers from seeking any further work until the Indian government gets back these monies.

It is hoped that all the governments involved will show now some further support and assist their seafarers to receive their full payments and dues from the shipowner, who let them suffer for so long.

Thankful   

After one and a half months the four imprisoned Sri Lankans, Captain included, were released by the Somaliland
`kangaroo courts`. I call them kangaroo courts because they found no evidence of foul play to arrest this crew and put them behind bars. They were innocent.”

Well they can finish complex pirate trials in 1 week and sentence people to 15 years, so what he is saying makes sense, they must be kangaroo courts!

I guess NW Somalia won't be spreading false news that Sri Lanka is about to recognize them. :D

Cowke   

Thankful, what is hilarious is that somaliland riyale is asking $2.5 million Fine for not having port certification clearance. The sri lankan company refused to pay the EXCESSIVE FINE, and they arrested the poor guy in kangaroo court of berbera.

But what i found the funniest was when they had to hold gun to him and make press conference to say "good things" about somaliland!!!! Their getting desperate!!!

The pirate boys are calling other pirates :D:D . Slow your lil rolls... pirate_boy1235497917.jpg

I don't knock your piracy hustle, by any means, get your money.