Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Annoying things that ppl do

Ms DD   

Was meaning to ask.. Did you know Arabic before you moved and if you didnt, how long did it take for you get grips with the lingo (if you got the hangs of it at all).

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Ms Dhucdhuc & Dheylo:

Was meaning to ask.. Did you know Arabic before you moved and if you didnt, how long did it take for you get grips with the lingo (if you got the hangs of it at all).

I was just beginning to grasp the language then a flight to Heathrow took place. Its coming slowly but surely. Not the easiest language to learn and not the easiest place to learn it.

Why you ask? Dont tell me, your Arabic improved recently?

Ms DD   

your Arabic improved recently

Not on your nelly! Arabic is hard..even for someone who has been in dugsi quraan for years and daddy taught us at home. The results: Zero with nothing to show for!

But my intention now is to go to Syria for 6 months to study it (of course after consulting with the boss :D ) After that..how hard can it be.

N.O.R.F   

A good idea laakin a bit of a way to go dont you think? I took a five week class and passed with flying colours :cool:

Couldnt be bothered after that,,,,

Ahh, annoying when Arabs ask "Ma takalam carabii?" :mad:

Ibtisam   

^^^lool it is wide spread myth that all Somali’s speak Arabic.

Ms D&D I have to tell you about my time in Syria and the three classes I attended :D

p.s It is very cheap and good standards, It was only £400 for six months and you get a certificate from Damascus university. I regret not going now. Who knows maybe I’ll go back for it soon.

Oh before I forget Ms D, you can go on the same/ similar course at two colleges in London (part time, but it is expensive)

Ms DD   

North

Ask the Arabs if they can speak somali, then you are even smile.gif

If I take classes, would i be able to understand Arabic spoken on Iqraa or Al Jazeera? being fluent in Arabic aint my aim though but basic understanding of the luqa is my goal.

Ghanima

Do they arrange accomodation for you or you have to arrange it yourself? Do you remember upto the level they teach?

Originally posted by Ghanima:

[QB] ^^^lool it is wide spread myth that all Somali’s speak Arabic.

As Muslim nation we should understand and speak arabic fluently, secondly somalis were having communities in all arab countries from a long times starting from Aden,yemen,Omen to gulf states, and many students in egypt, syria, and iraq, while many somalis born in the gulf too and speak arabic natively.

I think somalia of all somalia-regions was semi-arabic speaking till the europeans came and get rid of it, the french, italinas and british.

But also the funny thing the arabs are also chasing the globaliaztion and english-speakingness. that is al cawlimah. huh!

N.O.R.F   

^^Its not like that saxib. I'm sure most Somalis first language (spoken at home) was infact Somali. Expecting someone to be fluent in another language when its not their first langauge is plain wrong (even when ignorant to the facts). Should we be able to speak Arabic because we are Arab league members?

Ibtisam   

^^It stems from the other myth, that we are Arabs or something to do with them other than religion. Shike Sharmarkee, yes we should speak Arabic if we are Muslim to better understand our deen, but it is not the reasons behind this myth that being Somali automatically means we speak Arabic. Yes we has big presences in the middle east, but so do Indians. As for the league @ North, Pakistan is on the league.. No??

Ms DD, they had three levels as I remember, (you MUSt do a test first to determine your level unless you want to start from basics, which I doubt you want to (that’s where my English, white, none Muslim friend started :D ) and they did not give you accommodation (but that is very easy, so many houses to rent

"Should we be able to speak Arabic because we are Arab league members? "

Adeer you brining politics to all talk smile.gif

For worshiping and doing your salat every muslim need to arabic to understand,and for all tacabud

Remember D&D said only i need to listen and understand for Iqra and al jazeera.

and what about,Maa'il Fiqyiah the laws, whether its family laws, Zakat laws, heridatory and will laws. unless you say waar bal sheikh inoogu yeeda eveytime. the trained arabic speak can do alot for himself in religious matters.

N.O.R.F   

Needless to say speaking arabic will benefit you saxib. I was refering to Arabs being 'surprised' a Somali cant speak arabic when its not my first language.