Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Dispatches: It Shouldn't Happen to a Muslim,

Ibtisam   

Channel 4 will be airing the Dispatches documentary, It Shouldn't Happen to a Muslim, next Monday 7th July at 9pm, which investigates the rise of violence, intolerance and hatred against British Muslims since the 7/7 London Bombings.

A synopsis:

On the third anniversary of the 7/7 London Bombings, political commentator and journalist Peter Oborne investigates whether these attacks and the fear of terrorism has fuelled the rise of violence, intolerance and hatred against British Muslims. He discovers that for many in the Muslim community, Britain is becoming a very frightening place. Dispatches meets a range of British Muslims who now live in daily fear, some because their homes are constantly vandalised, others because they or family have suffered devastatingly violent attacks.

An exclusive ICM opinion poll commissioned for Dispatches reveals the extent to which Muslims have experienced hostility, abuse and prejudice since 7/7. The same poll also reveals the general public's attitudes towards Islam and relations with Muslims.

Since the bombings there has understandably been much press coverage of the attacks and other terrorist incidents. Oborne investigates whether this coverage has had the side-effect of portraying Islam and British Muslims in a relentlessly negative fashion, leading to the demonization of a diverse group of two million people, most of whom have nothing to do with terrorism.

Dispatches commissioned a sophisticated study of press coverage from Cardiff University's School of Journalism. The research examined articles published in the British press over the last eight years and their depiction of Muslims and Islam. The troubling results of the study are revealed in the film.

Oborne also investigates the sources and accuracy of a rash of press stories that have entered the public consciousness – such as a London council 'banning Christmas' out of deference to Muslims and a 'Muslim hate mob' wrecking a house rented to returning soldiers from Afghanistan.

Oborne concludes that in today's climate the media say things about Islam and Muslims they would never say about other groups. When he replaces the word' 'Muslim' in some recent headlines with 'Jews', 'Blacks' and 'Gays' and shows them to members of the public, they find those headlines deeply offensive.

In his first interview since leaving the Metropolitan Police, the man who headed anti-terror operations on 7/7 and afterwards, former assistant commissioner Andy Hayman talks about the poor relations between Muslims and the security services.

There will also be an opportunity to put
your questions to Peter Oborne in a live web chat that will take place on the Channel 4 website after the Dispatches programme finishes at 9pm on Monday 7th July.

Don't forget to write to C4 after you view the program, either congratulate them if it's well made, or complain if it misrepresents us. Be active about your media representation people.

Ngonge; I don't care what you think, leave me alone! icon_razz.gifsmile.gif

Salamah

Ibtisam   

What a splendid documentary. It was about time such a programme was produced and aired. The main message was: people treat Muslims in a bad way that they would never dare to treat others. Excellent redface.gif

I wanted him to investigate much responsibility Muslim organisations bear for the poor public image of Islam, and whether they should have done more to win the public's confidence in the wake of 7/7. One or two of the statistics looked wobbly too. Is anyone surprised that "only" 50% of Britons have a Muslim friend? :eek:

Lastly, the documentary was followed by the documentary on 7/7 and how there are over 2,000 terrorist in the UK. I guess they could not look/sound too positive about Islam on 7/7.

P.s. Don't forget to contact Channel 4 and Peter Oborne to thank them for making a brilliant documentary: 0845 076 0191 or e-mail If we don't support positive coverage of Muslims, can't expect more positive programmes! Ngonge, you should do this, since you do not like complaining :cool:

Ibtisam   

Also Next Monday 9th July, C4 8pm We have The Qur’an

The Qur’an has become the most ideologically influential text in the world, but what does it actually say? And how much do Muslims and non-Muslims understand its message and its history?

In this fascinating and challenging documentary, award-winning filmmaker Antony Thomas, investigates how a text that has inspired peace, tolerance and creativity down the ages can be used to justify violence and terrorism amongst a minority of Muslims.

The Qur’an explores the history of Islam’s holiest book and asks what it says about issues such as women’s equality, mercy and punishment, war, peace and suicide bombing, and relations with other faiths.

Muslims believe the Qur’an to be the word of God, revealed to the Prophet Muhammad nearly 1,500 years ago. From women’s rights to freedom of speech, and from punishment to forgiveness, it affects every aspect of their lives. But they don’t all read it in the same way.

This documentary takes us to places where women may not vote or drive cars, and to countries where they lead political parties; mosques where devotees pray to saints, and others where this would be seen as idol worship; devotees who dance, sing and feel Allah in their hearts, and imams who insist on an austere version of Islam.

This powerful film meets a diverse range of people living according to their understanding of the Qur’an, from ayatollahs to peasant farmers, and from hardline fundamentalist imams to progressive Islamic thinkers. It asks how – if the Qur’an is the ultimate and changeless message of God – such differences are possible.

NGONGE   

^^ It was an interesting program.

By the way, this is different to the other thread we had. This is a program on national TV. They invite and expect comments from all sides. The distinction is probably lost on you though.

Keep it up though and I'll do my best to set you straight from time to time.

Did you take part in this last night?

N.O.R.F   

I can see a total u-turn in next week’s documentary.

Ps don’t mind NG, the District line does that to people.

Abtigiis   

Salaam Ya Ibti. Waryaa Gaal-ismood (Marx or whatever), meanigful dispatches are more mind-enriching than your fuzzy posts and funny Ukuyaalaha Alxanka dabka! Leave Ibti alone!

Fabregas   

A backlash after 7/7 attacks was only to be expected. And despite all the fuss and moaning, life in Britain for a Muslims isn't that bad. The Negros, Pakistanis, Jews, Irish and others have had it worser down the years. Also, the comparisons to Nazi Germany as just ridiclous!

Ibtisam   

Ngonge, it was a public organization,[ Did you think it was a private individual?] which displays their details in public, available to anyone. Stop making me sound like a lunatic who sneaked into their office after hrs and stole their contacts, then asked people to spam or send them hate mail! :D I know the difference between those accountable to the public and hold a certainly level of responsibility towards society or at least those it claims to represent and private individuals. smile.gif Otherwise I would’ve asked people to e-mail the presenter and throw stones at her house. I’m being reasonable, so work with me. :cool:

North, yes so could I, but from what I can see, we cannot blame C4, rather they found every Muslim with a strange view and looped them all together in 1hr.

A&T; W/salam, btw Gaal-ismood is nasty thing to say about a Muslim. Unless they claim that they are indeed, Gaal or gaal-ismood, adigu tambi haa doonani. smile.gif

Lastly East London Mosque, LMC have open days for non Muslims on the 12th and 13th July 2008. Please take your none-Muslims along.

Abtigiis   

haye, Ibti. laakiin gaal ma oran ee gaal-ismood ayaan idhi. Anyway,waan iska sixi taa. I am kind of dadka aan waxba reeban markay xanaaqaan. A big negative!