Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

The Somali Movie: Ali and Awrala

Ibtisam   

^come over and you can see it.

LOOOL He does have a few floating about on the WWW that could be made into a cheesy love film :D

MFJ Cawl R.I.P. amin. What a great somali writer! Having said that I am shocked to see the sheer ignorance shown here by wiilashan ka duulaya un ninku reer Sanaag bu ahaa, i.e (adeerkana) balse waxaysan ogayn waxay tahay that Mr. Awl was first somali and the last thing he wished was for him to be demoted to reer Sanaag oly(Xaafadda) :rolleyes: wake up sxb-yal

Secondly, I have seen this movie and read this novel too and never came across even one similarity between this novel book and this movie rather more differences and not in the same scale in anyway. One is the work of fiction and not intended as historical account whereas the other is rather factual account and based on a story, which large numbers of somalis can relate to one way or another, and in particularly a one that happened in Denmark. So we have two different storyline, two different time and age and of course two different messages that both sending out. So what is the fuss?

Just quick comparison of the two

Mr. Awl's novel

• Title: AQOONDARO WAA U NACAB JACAYL in eng. IGNORANCE IS THE ENEMY OF LOVE
  • GENRE: FICTION (NOVEL) (rich poetry)
  • MAIN CHARACTERS: CALI MAAX & CAWRALA

a Love between Ali Mah a local fisherman, Awrala a 19 hundred something village girl.

SOMTV's film

• TITLE: ALI & AWRALA
  • GENRE: MOVIE (FACT) (modern urban somali story)
  • MAIN CHARACTERS: CALI & AWRALA (somehow coincidently same character names!)

Ali is a penniless youth from a poverty stricken home that strives hard to keep body and soul together, whereas, Awrala the girl Ali loves is thoroughbred lass who hails from a well-heeled household in which prosperity beggared description

Anyone would fail to see any similarities or plagiarism of that sort than two simple names. Come forward and enlighten us bal the plagiarism you talking about sxb-yaal, try to use facts next time than sheer caadifad and plain accusations and come up with better explanation to support your case. Hatu burhanukum haddii kale iska aamusa and dont be a hater or typical somali xaasidz ;)

salamz,

Allamagan

Dabshid, ninkii ugu dambeys ma la dilay? Oops! I never watched it to the end. Laakiin it was fairly gory, wasn't it? All the blood and the butchers knife gave me heart palpitations!

Paragon   

^Allamagan, sxb with utmost respect, I am in no position to reply to you due to constraint of time. However, I think Libaax's post speaks for me. Further, as Dabshid has already pointed out, this particular topic has had it's day in SOL forum. A repeat would be futile.

FYI: I don't have a problem with you finding it expedient to turn the issue into regionalism. It's your best way of theorising discussions, I suppose.

But the name 'Ali and Awrala' and 'Ali Maax and Awrala' don't sound similiar to you? The other quick point is, if you look at the themes of both works, what is the operant denominant theme?

Ibti, you are too young to have read, understand and cherished 'Aqoondaro Waa U Nacab Jacayl' and thus your view of this is, I am affraid, handicaped. Have an elder friend or person read and explain the story to you.

Juxa, lool. I like print dear. Perhaps that could explain my distaste for violating the character integrity of classic stories in print. Insha-Allaahu, markeey kuwa aan diyaarinayo dhamaad noqdaan ayaad ila akhrin doontaa. smile.gif

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Paragon:

Crap plays, as usual, right? At least they did achieve one thing...to kill the original story.... that original story should not be plagiarised again!

Pragon did you watch it horta?

Paragon   

Abwaan, watch what exactly? One has to be able to get past the title a little deeper before watching the whole thing. I watched the trailer expecting a work that is literary as beautiful as the original story but found a totally different story. And a shot of Bamburi beach didn't help. The camel ride on the beach didn't help either. smile.gif

The basic question to the proponents of the film is this: has or hasn't the director of the film borrowed specific names (Ali and Awralla) from the original story? If he did, then let him/her pay due credit to the source.

If the agument is that he HASN'T then that's altogether a different issue.

I for one don't have anything against the film-maker/s and wish them success, but it really doesn't help to claim there isn't a respect for others' work (however rudimentary that respect might be).

^ lol @ Paragon. Who brought regionalism here? it wasn't me, bruv! anyone can see the common denominator of plagairism-sayers in regard to that of Mr. Awl's (rip). Anyway, whenever you have time brother please show us the plagiarism you guys talking about and if it is about the "sacred" names of the film characters then thats another story and another topic. ;)

Abwaan   

So Pragon you are saying Magacan Ali iyo Awralo wuxuu u xirxiran yahay Sheekadii 70yadii la qoray ee xaggaa iyo xeebaha badmaaxa u qabsatay laga qoray ee fiction ahayd! oo weliba Haddii aanan khaldanayn kii hore wuxuu ahaa "Awrala and Ali" and this one is "Ali and Awrala"...lol...corr ect me if I am wrong.

Can I ask you a question? How many of the Somali songs you listen to nowadays are not COPY? That is if you are not stuck with Kuluc iyo "Soow Soow" I mean heesihii beri-samaadkii amaba aadan wadaad surwaalkiisu u gaaban yahay ahayd oo heesahaba ka dheeraaday! And if you enjoy heesaha inta qaar la silciyey 5 jeer la kala koobiyeystey kani muxuu uga duwan yahay anigoo kuu raacaya inba xuquuqda magacan uu leeyahay qoraha Sheekada Cali iyo Cawrala!

Som@li   

^So you are suggesting it is OK to copy?

Val, Yeah, Miskiinkii aakhirkii inta cadar nooca isku soo haadka, uunsi loo soo shiday, iyo Diric noocii ugu danbeeyey ayuu mooday in waxkale dhacayaan, laakin way qashay, Alow nocaas oo kale hana tusin. smile.gif walee in aan dumar xeeladood la gaarin.

Ibti, check this, and you can find it @ amazon.

Ibtisam   

Paragon On the one hand you patronize me saying I am too young and thus handicap, on the other hand you say this:

has or hasn't the director of the film borrowed specific names (Ali and Awralla) from the original story? If he did, then let him/her pay due credit to the source.

So really I don’t need to understand, nor does age have to factor into your silly logic. You are objecting based on a title rather than an actually story line that was copied, therefore me understanding or even reading the original work in neither here nor there.

Boooho, cry me a river, the guy however much loved he is does not owe two Somali names, maybe if he used made up names liked habaroyinshoyoadi or something, then yeah that’s his name and should not be copied. But seriously Ali is as common as Abdi.

Here I was thinking there was a story line that was copied, and all this time you are crying over names. :rolleyes:

Dabshid, thanks for the link and I’m look the book up inshallah.

Blessed   

Dabshid,

Is that how it ended? I didn't like all the blood and lame dialogue. His friend kept repeating the same lines. Such a disapointment!

I heard rave reviews about Motel or was it Hotel. The one about the mother with two girls.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Allamagan:

^ lol @ Paragon. Who brought regionalism here? it wasn't me, bruv! anyone can see the common denominator of plagairism-sayers in regard to that of Mr. Awl's (rip). Anyway, whenever you have time brother please show us the plagiarism you guys talking about and if it is about the "sacred" names of the film characters then thats another story and another topic.
;)

Ninyow, answer the question I asked first. Then we can move on to the other issues I raise. It's a basic question that begs no evasion. Yes or no would do. No further nonesense is necessary.

Abwaan, outright copying waa wax la gartay, and whosoever does copy ma aanan copy-garayn lama soo shir tago. To tell us that something evidently borrowed isn't what it is is to pull a wool over our very eyes. For all I care, I don't mind if they copied 99% of the original story and said we did it kas iyo maag. Taasi waa raganimo cad balse markii lagu meereysto sheeko aanan jirin waa doqonimo.

PS: The original fictional story might be just that: fictional. But for someone, the story is not about where its author hails from or some such nonesence. The story, to some, is disturbingly real, bitter and close to home. And I really don't give a flying monkey what others say about my protests here.

The dim-witted short-sighted to understand that sometimes fiction and fact overlap and those who've gone through an ordeal similar to that of Ali Maax, the only relief there is in tragedy is the beauty of language with which the tragedy is told. So literal integrity matters. Heck, it's the only comfort in what is only so human stories.

Ibti, wax loo jawaabo ma tihid. Waad fududahay.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

^So you are suggesting it is OK to copy?

No I am saying we sort of became a copy cat society...Soo ma aadan arkin Market maryooleey furato oo dirac lagu wada gadayo......amase maqaayado hal saf ku wada jira...waxaa iigu yaab badnayd markaan arkay Xaafiis xawaalad ah oo muraayadaha security-ga ay cashier-ka ka soo horreeyaan oo dirac meel walba laga suray... No originality whatsoever...so do we just pick and choose? need I say more?