Belgian vote on Muslim veils could echo throughout Europe

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Haatu:

quote:Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

quote:

KP: Ruqyah mate, ruqyah
:D

ASWRB. Peace and victory to all the halganized Somalis, the people of Ahmad Ibn Ibrahim Al Ghazzali. Akhi, this isn't a laughing matter.
I never said it was my cushtic brother
Naga tag, wa bila CUSHITIC brother. Somalidu wa Qahtani Carabs. I am gonna watch MOTD2.

Maaddeey   

I never said it was my cushtic brother

Faa'iidada hakadka Gaarissa ma ku soo baranin miyaa? :D

Khayr   

On the other hand if a majority of people vote for such a measure then it's their country and the people have spoken.

That somes it up all - the majority dictate rule of law. The majority dictate what is right and what is wrong. That is the idea behind liberal democracy and has always been.

Who influences consent?

- The Media be it internet (blogs, facebook) or t.v. news and satires (daily show, cnn, bbc) or the papers (metros, the Times etc) by means of imagery (image of black clothed niqaabi) walking alone in the market or linking that image to an attack on the countries values.

This whole debate is framed in a certain manner:

- The Niqaab is a threat to public safety (better sell) and also an attack on our liberal values i.e. equality btwn men and women

The muslims must show a united front here but unfortunately (as reflected on here) are too weak and too confused. The Niqaab is fard in some madhabs and is part of the deen (all the prophet's wives wore them) and an attack on the Niqaab is an attack on Muslim Values.

Today the Niqaab, tomorrow the Hijab, the day after the beard and then any and all islamic symbols (no mosques etc.)