Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Witch Doctors, sorcery and the UAE footballer

N.O.R.F   

Madness!

UAE footballer detained for using witchcraft

An Emirati footballer has been dropped from the national squad after being detained by police for allegedly using witchcraft.

Faisal Khaleel was held for four days by police after being arrested with two Omani ‘witches’ in Dubai.

Khaleel, who has now been released without charge, wanted the witches to use their sorcery to get him included in the starting 11 and to bring bad luck to other members of the team, according to newspaper reports in Saudi Arabia.

Police sources confirmed that the two Omanis had been deported after confessing to conning people and using sorcery.

A close friend of Khaleel’s said that the player went to see the witches so they could tell him what his future held. “There is nothing abnormal in that,” the friend said.

He added: “Police raided the premises and arrested the two Omanis and Khaleel. He is angry and upset. After these reports became public he was sacked from the next game with the national team.”

The friend said Khaleel had no intention of using witchcraft either to benefit himself or to harm any other player.

General Khamis Mattar Al-Muzaina deputy director of Dubai Police said yesterday that he didn’t know anything about this issue.”

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=817%20%20%20%20&page=local%20news&title=UAE%20footballer

Johnny B   

^My question is, What is bothering about the article.

a: superstition.

b: This kind of superstition because it fails even a cursory examination.

N.O.R.F   

Single in the city Why does black magic have us all under its spell?

Rym Ghazal

Last Updated: October 08. 2008 8:41PM UAE / October 8. 2008 4:41PM GMT ‘Rym, my fiancé is acting weird, I think someone put a spell on him,” my friend said over the phone.

Usually I would just have laughed at such a statement; but then again, after a few strange incidents here and there and after one particular trip to Morocco that left one of my hands “cursed” into a frozen fist until a religious Lebanese sheikha broke the spell… well, I hesitated.

“Seriously, Rym, he is acting so strange, and he tells me he gets a heavy feeling in his chest whenever he is near me, and he always feels sleepy,” she said.

I know what you’re thinking: you’re thinking that maybe the guy is changing his mind about the relationship and that’s why he’s acting the way he is. Maybe, maybe not.

Anything is possible, especially in cultures that believe in black magic, where there are even legal cases against witches and sorcerers. People have been arrested in the UAE as “sorcerers”: just this week two footballers were arrested on charges of using black magic to “cast spells” against other players. In certain countries anyone found guilty of practising black magic is subject to a death sentence.

This is a serious matter, and extends even as far as horoscopes: a Saudi cleric declared recently that people who spread horoscopes on Arab TV stations should face the death penalty – by the sword.

But then, I recall one of my Islamic teachers in Saudi Arabia telling us that it was haram to read horoscopes, as only Allah knows the future and anyone claiming to do so is committing blasphemy. That was years ago, so forbidding horoscopes is nothing new.

I remember one of my friends smuggled in a ouija board from the US; it was such a big deal, and only members of our little cult called “secret” (which was really lame, as it was just a group of friends who played basketball and wanted to create a mysterious aura around ourselves) knew about it. We would meet in secret and try out the board at her house. I never fell for it.

But for some people, magic – black, white or whatever – is real, and they fear it.

“What should I do? I’m scared,” my friend said, close to tears about her fiancé. I thought about what I should say. I reiterated to her what my scholar friend had told me: read the protective verses in the Quran, depend on Allah and don’t worry too much.

The next time I saw my friend, she had persuaded her fiancé to go with her to a “witch doctor”: a good witch who could break spells.

Apparently everything is now back to normal after the visit to the good witch. My friend and her fiancé both had hijab – a protective spell to counter any future spells. They are also wearing the blue stone to ward off the evil eye. “I think his ex was behind the spell,” my friend says.

Her case wasn’t as severe as some of my other friends’ cases. One of my schoolmates in an all-girls high school in Jeddah had beautiful blonde hair. Everyone in the school, even the dean, used to admire her hair, especially since we all had dark hair.

One day a clump of her hair, a handful, just fell out. It looked so unnatural and it freaked me out. Every day she lost more of her silky mane, and every day she was getting more and more sick.

This lasted for a week or so until one day my friend and I spotted a paper bearing certain words and glued to the heel of her shoes.

We didn’t see our friend for a few days. When she came back, she told us she had been taken to a sheikh who recited the Quran over her and burned her shoes. Whether you believe it or not, she became better, and slowly her hair regained its lustre.

I understand that when bad things happen it is sometimes easier to believe that it had something to do with black magic and the evil eye. But I have witnessed three exorcisms, involving Jinns, and I have been at two “spell-breaking” sessions, and I can’t help but admit that there is a whole different world out there that many of us don’t know about, and perhaps don’t want to know about.

I remember, at one of the exorcisms, how I wanted to get out of there when the young woman being exorcised started screaming like a maniac and clawing at her mother.

Some of the all-women beaches in Lebanon are littered with taped-up spell scriptures that have been thrown into the sea, but washed back to the shore with the waves. There are hundreds of them.

While I cannot speak for the rest of the world, here in the Middle East, black magic is a reality: and it is feared and avoided by many.

rghazal@thenational.ae

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

My brother Northerner...How are you bro? I'm so sorry...I know inaan nin xun ahay.

Salam Aleikum W.W

BOB   

Maya weli bro...meeshu waa meel wacan bro...I just sent you an e-mail...check it out Insha Allah.

NGONGE   

These magicians have the most beautiful stories as to how they got into magic in the first place. Many of them claim to have fallen in love with a female Jinni and marrying her only to have their marriage (years later) annulled by the King of Jinn. During the marriage, the magician would claim that his lovely wife taught him all he needs to know about magic and the spiritual world.

What muddies the waters most is the fact that some of their work involves the use of passages from the holy book or even everyday traditional 'ruqiya'. Some claim to cure people that are possessed by Jinn and would follow exactly the same method used by any back street Mullah, confusing the ignorant people in the process and rendering magic (or the belief in and seeking out of magic) an integral part of the faith!

Arab (and many Asian) satellite channels give such men (and women) plenty of airtime and people phone them from all corners of the world. The methods they use are sometimes laughable and, sometimes, exceptionally spellbinding. But, for some strange reason (probably only known to members of the magicians union) they all seem to insist on knowing the first name of one's mother!

Incidentally, banks do that too. Come to think of it, most people going to magicians do so to ask for help with money or a way to obtain wealth. Banks ask for your mother's name (as a security question) then offer you all manner of deals that promise to double or triple your wealth (with varying interest rates). Oooh! I'm warming up to this thought now and starting to suspect that banking involves black magic after all!

A magician would advice you to choose a random four letter number and would insist that you keep it to yourself whilst making absolutely sure that no other living person has access to it. He may later add some extra magical paraphernalia to the bargain and demand that you bathe in donkey urine and the like. But there is no mistaking that the thing which will give you the wealth you seek is hidden inside that secret number. Banks do exactly the same, but without the donkey part! In addition, the magician will assault you with all manner of incomprehensible incantations using words that have no meaning at all. Habroosh, tarboosh, taktoosh, woosh woosh! Banks hit you with jargon such as ISA, IFA, TESSA and PEP! But, of course, banks have better magic and their results are instant. All you have to do is go with your four letter secret number to any of the magic walls located around the city and......