Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Don't You Dare Get 'Sweetie' on Me

Nephissa   

Sen. Barack Obama called a female journalist "sweetie" yesterday.
The Democratic presidential candidate's use of the term of endearment for a TV reporter he didn't want to answer has sparked a little controversy.

Mr Obama said:
"Hold on one second, sweetie,
we'll do a press [session], thanks."

The Illinois senator later left a phone message that was played on the television station.

In it he said: "That's a bad habit of mine. I do it sometimes with all kinds of people. I mean no disrespect and so I am duly chastened on that front.

"Feel free to call me back. I expect that my press team will be happy to try to make it up to you whenever we are in Detroit next."

It was the second time Mr Obama had been caught with the word - he used it referring to a factory worker in Pennsylvania in April.

Ms Agar said the apology surprised her but she was more concerned he had not answered her question.

Good lord, what next? Is that the best they can throw at us? Atleast he didn't call her "boo", :D give the man a break. Words are words don't sweat the small stuff, white America!

Ms DD   

I think it is kinda nice to be called that by ...your family and not by a stranger. I dont think people are over sensitive but it is quite inappropriate. But I wouldnt hold against him once he apologised.

Nephissa   

Yep Ms. DD, I agree with you completely and I would put the stranger in his place faster than he knew what hit him, laakin coming it from Obama, the Barack? ma isku cayaareenaa? I wouldn't even wash my ears for 10 days to make the word stick in them, so I could hear it over and over...

Fabregas   

What's wrong with saying Sweetie, macaanto? :D

Ayaan Dhow they might even say Obama Afrow baa ka soo baxaya..........he has to get a haircut........must suck to be a politician!

Someone told me that someone told him that his awoowo said that he heard from his awoowo you can never please a woman ,,,,, :D

Sweetie bal maxaa looga xanaaqayaa , i thought inay kuba farxi lahaayeen and would say waa nin wanaagsan. Next time waa inuu wixii Black American ku hablaha ugu yeedhi jireen ugu yeedho ,,, hehe , :D

Ms DD   

Do tell me why you would think a woman would be deliriously happy to be called 'sweetie'? How does it feel like if a stranger calls you 'macaane'?

This is our equivalent of

- abaayo macaan

- macaanto

- huuno

-qalanjo

-dhuubo dhex yarey

-cadey

I'm probably missing some. I know some people dont like to be called any of these and to others it is music to their ears :D as JB put it there is no way to win sometimes

Ms DD   

Why would a woman be happy? It is not like in wax idinka dhaxeeyo, is it? Do answer the question and stop being politician about it.

Hadal macaan weeyaan ,, she should be happy with that ,,, unless she is the type of women who likes the rude aka qarafaadhug ,,,,, :D

Ms DD   

lol@qarafaadhu..sounds serious

Stanger (reads man) has no business talking to me in hadal macaan. Surely, you wouldnt want someone to leer at your daughter or wife. Cos technically is is leering. Quite distateful. It is quite endearing with someone familiar, between girls etc.

I will bet the hargeysa girls will karbaash you if you say this to them.

looooool ,, i'm sure intay igu soo leexdaan inay odhan lahaayeen walaal magacaa, ka waran hadaynu is barano, xagee lagaa helaa, blah blah blah ,, :D

Malika   

Geel-jire,so Cadeey is equvilent to Sweetie?..baal suug,let me go rip someones head in the political section..Lol :D