Sign in to follow this  
Naxar Nugaaleed

Waris Dirie gets the medal of Knight from French President Nicolas Sarkozy

She made her name protruding Somali women’s genitals through international media, now she dines and wines with the western upper echelons - that made her a star in her own eyes. – bravo calyki.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by rudy:

its not about the looks....its about being true to your soul. unfortunately, she aint got none. getting an award from this kinda of ppl is like saying in af somali maxaa iga shan iyo toban aha.

I beg to differ. I think the look tells the frechman: "you may be suited n booted but I ain't bothred". :D

Like MMA said, how hard is it to congratulate her for her anti-FGM work? It's worthy cause to say the least.

Ibtisam   

^^^She is not “Protruding somali women's genitals” just merely pointed out the problems and risks of sick practices in Africa (NOT only Somalia) :rolleyes: If you are not going to help her in her campaign least you can do is kaa amus and leave her be, So what if she “dines and wines” with them? That is her personal life and is not for you to judge, nor does it have anything to do with her work as a campaigner, that’s just plain faaduul, yaa kuu dirisad taa?

"that’s just plain faaduul, yaa kuu dirisad taa?"

Call me faduuli if you like but adeer healthy campign starts at home, islaamahan sameeya - or witch-doctors should be stopped and banned, and mums of the daughters should be educated, I dont see a headline grapping in manhattan or paris will do otherwise.

Ma garatay?

Malika   

Originally posted by Zenobia:

Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa!!, baal usheeg, what's her jacket and hair got to do with anything FGM, the seriousness of the issue is beyond Ms Dirie!

Ibtisam   

^^ smile.gif

Sharmakee:

Actually maan garanin, I don’t see the point of people who don’t get involved and just criticize from the side line, about how crap everyone is, what mistakes they have made and what they need to do, bit like when guys who can barley run 2meters without clasping sits on a big sofa shouting tips and advise to an international footballer while he aggressively chews his food!

So pardon me if I’m not impressed by you argument. I’m so sick of this whole notion of “don’t throw your dirty showing out for everyone to see” :mad: for someone who has not suffered or who has little understanding of the issue, and the extent of its damage and how wide spread it is, it is easy for you to wait 100years or so for things to change via education etc (you are asking for a social change of attitude which does not happen overnight) I’m afraid that is not good enough for all the little girls that suffer in the process. In some cases it is boarding on criminality and there should be laws to protect people who are powerless in our society.

People like her, thorough her work actually has a wide out reach, and although people may object or diss her for it etc, a change of attitude in what is and what is not acceptable would happen a lot fast, also the topic would not be a such taboo and crazy myths surrounding it, as people gain knowledge and have easy access to materials that have been published as a results of a number of campaigns similar to hers.

-Lily-   

Headline grabs is what got her the funds to aid underage mothers in Somalia.

A medal does not make your a better person. Either way, she doesn't look bothered so I don't see how anyone else should be?

I'd like to see the hair-styles of the folks dishing dirt and giving styling tips. :rolleyes:

Well done to Waris! I hope she keeps it up.

Buuxo   

ma ila aragtay lily.

anyways people, relax , we congratulate the lady.Just because we made statements about her dress does not mean we think her work is worthless.

lol ghanima, bal neefso dear.

^^^Even on a bad hair day, I don't look anything close to that pic of the subject and I can back it up.

Shiny/sparkly pins, it beats the dry lastic thats supporting the ponytail. Pony tails are meant for folks with long hair, not the Whitney Houston's of today.

Kool Kat, you have so much hair, you need atleast two Stylist's to get through that baruuko looking of a hair.(its so surreal)

I was thinking maybe you need to donate some of that good hair to your beloved sister akawhitneybobbydirie?