Sign in to follow this  
Somalicentric.

Fond memories of Eid.

What were yours as a child?

Mine were being anxious the night before.

looking over my new outfits hehe, waking up the next day to the beautiful adhan,

seeing massive amounts of folks praying collectively (either behind our house at this soccer feild or Sir Ali club in Nairobi) Followed by watching my uncles slaughter a few goats in the backyard. and of course being off from dugsi for like 3-2 days :D

Blessed   

New cloths.. new toys!!!

The night market in our city was so amazing - i think this has started my love for shopping.. they would close off the whole street in Ramadan and after taraweeh the place which was otherwise boring came alive. My favorite thing was that the the nights before ciid, more xalaawa vendors would appear and they used to invite us to taste the sweets sayin g 'halaal, halaal'..

Xagal ciid which we got without having to ask and at the time seemed like a lot of money to spend on anything..!! Sweets, ice cream.

All the families getting together for lunch and then driving up to Soodah mountain to take pictures.

We used to get the whole Ramadaan off and our friends used to stay over for the month and we'd stay up the whole night playing silly game talking of shaydaan stories.

Aah, life was good. smile.gif

MZanzi   

Celebrating Eid in a big family is always more delightful.

Eid in my childhood days- as I recollect- was warm and friendly; not to say that it lacks warmth now. But I still feel the joy that Eid brought in all of us back then; I reminisce those days with fond memories of sighting the moon, the homely iftar and of course the CLOTHES.

Eid Fashion in those days was rather mundane judging by today's standards, but the preparation that went behind it was far more elaborate.

MZanzi   

Originally posted by Somali'centric:

As kids we used to abuse the phrase "ciid mubarak" around relatives and stick our hands out hehe!

Good timez

In somalia, it's tradition to give children money on Eid Day.

nowadays people give children gifts. This is probably because we are so bombarded with the idea of gift-giving during the Christmas season,

Chimera   

-Wearing new clothes

-Being loaded with money from family and friends

-Taking the train to faraway cities like a group of Conquistadors.

Fufu- i don't think it has anything to do with x-mas...

it is just that living in a western world, it's more feasible to give em gifts... But the good thing is our kids don't expect that, and for the most part they are content with just the spirit of eid.

as for x-mas some of these kids don't even know the purpose/commercializ ed aspect of it.

Malika   

Oh.The anticipation of wearing new clothes,being loaded for a few days..LOL

There was a buzz all around the neighborhood,commoti on in our house.The place getting an all over cleaning,some times a new lick of paint..New curtains,bed sheets and all other decorative go on..Oh,how I loved the Eid Mornings,when the house smelled of a mix of food and uunsi.

The night before,hair washed then rolled,henna patterns on hands and legs..Ah,the long awaited dress,socks and shoes,ribbons ready..We used to hang them outside the wardrobe,couldn't even trust them in the wardrobe..LOL

I dont think we slept at all,as soon as the adhaan goes off,there was a scuffle to whom will be the first to have a shower..Of to the mosque they went,I stayed behind as I had a job delivering plates of macmacaans to our neighbors,never did I complain about this job,while the others are at the mosque,I start collecting my ciid money. smile.gif

We spent the morning going around the neighborhood collecting our dues..lol,in the afternoon we went to the movies,then the ice cream parlour..By the time we get back home,timihii bulbul bee noqdeen..Lol

My most vivid memory of Eid in Somalia was when my beautiful pet goat, Shacni, was slaughtered and her liver was served to us for breakfast. I can still picture the sparkling red blood and green gooey digested grass on the ground below a headless Shacni, hanging upside down.

After that the kurdado and xaqal ciid meant nothing.

Chimera   

Val i know the feeling, my childhood babycat Faisal(child of our older cat) was run over by a car right infront of me because it tried to greet me as i came from school by crossing the road. The basterd of a car didn't even stop afterwards. I remember seeing the inside of faisal as his guts were coming out, he was still breathing and i couldn't stop looking at his eyes until my mother came and took me away while my father recovered the now death faisal.

I was stunned for weeks.

Chimera   

I didn't name him, just like i didn't choose to wear Polo-shirts featuring flowers or red shoes with yellow laces, or the tons of other horrible clothing styles i was made to wear.

Mass-Delusion-Neurobiology11jan05.gif

Thank you for this session Shrink Valenteenah, next appointment will be after Eid.