Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Suspected bomb found in London

NGONGE   

^^ He's the guy that did the Nationwide advert. He's also some sort of Comedian. But the photo above is NOT a photo of the person I'm talking about. It is just someone that looks like him.

N.O.R.F   

^^No, he just wanted to get to work on time for his morning Qaxwa and a copy of Al Quds and was not scared!

Ibtisam   

^^^lool^^ okay,

p.s. Is he paying you as his spokes person, or you just getting him out of a tight spot! lool :D

Ibtisam   

loool ^^^

North Okay, I think waax kaal meesha kaa soocod, so i'm run while i can, before all THREE gang up on me!

N.O.R.F   

^^Well you put him in a tight spot. Cant let a grown man admit his fears on a journey to work now can we? :D

Dangerous little words

It is deeply unhelpful for news networks to breathlessly report that the Glasgow attackers were 'Asian-looking men'.

As the first pictures of a flaming jeep at Glasgow airport were broadcast on Saturday, I watched with intent to see what details would emerge. Was this an attack? If so, who by? What was its purpose? Was it connected to the attempted attacks in London? Desirous to feed my intrigue, though as yet poorly equipped with details, both Sky News and the BBC referred to the "Asian" and "Asian-looking men", respectively, who were seen getting out of the car.

Why, exactly? Well, to begin with, this was the description used by one of the eye witnesses to the event. This was his story, and every detail counted. It appears that the same could be said for the news teams, who repeated the description in their subsequent broadcasts.

It's true that identifying suspects is crucial to their being apprehended. Except of course, in this case, the suspects had been apprehended already - and were lying face down, yards from the cameras. So "Asian" was apparently not an attempt to alert the nation to the fleeing criminals.

So what was it to alert us to? Even as reports were coming in that this may have been an accident, thus contradicting other opinions that this was an attack, the news teams, as would be expected, looked for a way to sensationalise the story. Referring to the "Asian" men was a way of calling this a terror attack without being certain. Car ... fire ... airport ... Asians ... that's a terror attack, right?

Well, probably, but does that mean that if it had been a car, a fire, an airport and white people it would simply have been a case of engine trouble?

But this was not just any old terrorist attack - it was one likely linked to al-Qaida. Except that this information hadn't been confirmed yet, so the best way of saying it without saying it was to imply it. "Asians - you know, the dark ones? Look a bit like Arabs? Yeah, Arabs, the terrorist ones, yeah."

It's a bit like the white man in a London pub telling his mates how he was mugged by "these massive black guys". It doesn't make the crime any worse. But it contextualises it for the audience - this was no random mugging, rather it was connected to all the other black crimes, part of the fearful black gang culture that's holding all the law-abiding white folk to ransom.

Of course, the Littlejohns of this world and their flock will undoubtedly label my caution "PCism gone mad". I can see their point. The men in question apparently were "Asian looking". It was a terrorist attack. Presumably many people - black, white, Asian - won't be offended by the description.

But my caveat is not with the potential the wording has to cause offence. Instead it is with the fact that by using "Asian" as shorthand to bolster someone's terrorist credentials, the press is contributing to an increasing polarisation that exists between "white law-abiders" and "Asian terrorists".

read more,,,,,,,

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

loool, THAT is what scared you Ngonge! gosh, :rolleyes: Even i can take him on!
:D

Scared is a bit of a strong word. He didn't scare me at all. What really worried me was the timing and place of his abuse. It was a tube station, silly. Imagine having a fight with him in these highly charged times. Armed police would have appeared out of nowhere and shot me before asking any questions. I'd end up going to work with gunshot wounds and a creased suit. :(

Don't think it was worth all that.