Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Is Ramadan Coming? Somalis Ask

N.O.R.F   

Spare a thought (and a few pennies if possible) for others less fortunte this ramadan. Send your zakaat early!

Is Ramadan Coming? Somalis Ask

By Abdul-Rahman Yusuf, IOL Correspondent

MOGADISHU — Deserted markets, no fund-raising, no aid baskets are the new features of Somalia's preparations, or rather lack thereof, for the fast-approaching holy fasting month of Ramadan.

"There are no preparations for Ramadan as if the holy month is not around the corner," Abdel Rahman Mohammad, a merchant, told IslamOnline.net.

Bakara, the once bustling central market place in the capital Mogadishu, has been almost deserted.

"Sales have hit all time low this year," he said.

"People don't dare to venture out of their home to shop."

Six civilians were killed and nearly a dozen wounded Wednesday, September 5, in fighting that erupted in the Bakara market between government forces and militants.

The seaside capital has been ravaged by violence since Ethiopian and Somali troops ousted the Islamic Court that controlled large parts of the country early this year.

It has plunged into a deadly vicious cycle of violence which has so far killed up to 1,300 civilians and displaced more than 400,000, according to Human Rights Watch.

Somalia has lacked an effective government since the 1991 ouster of president Mohamed Siad Barre touched off a deadly power struggle that has defied numerous attempts to restore peace.

No Charities

With the officials of the major charities either in jail or on the run, being accused of affiliation with the ousted Islamic Courts, Somalis have very little hope of getting Ramadan aid.

"We will not offer this year the traditional iftar tables to poor Somalis," said Mokhtar Sheikh Hassan, the director of an orphanage in Mogadishu.

"Our orphanage has been shut down after the Ethiopian troops positioned themselves nearby," he added with a heavy heart.

Khaled Mohammad takes pity on his poor countrymen.

"They will be the hardest hit during Ramadan because charities have vanished," he said.

"With a few days to go, there is not the slightest semblance of charity in the capital."

The incumbent government has cracked down on charities and arrested some of its directors.

These charities were working diligently to provide for the needy in one of the world's poorest and least developed countries.

"They were the lifeline for many people," noted Mohammad Ahmad, a local aid official.

"Now things are getting worse for a sea of poor people, who badly need assistance."

After more than 15 years of unrest, Somalis tasted tranquility and peace in Ramadan of last year after the Islamic Courts defeated US-backed warlords.

They revived the good old days, huddling together round the iftar meal and Tarawih prayers.

Women walked safely at the beehive-like marketplace, while children enjoyed themselves on the festooned streets.

"Last year, I used to have my iftar from an Islamic Courts charity, which is now closed," said Fatima Ali, a mother of four.

"Many of these charities and aid agencies have taken to their heels," she lamented.

"How can this large number of poor and needy Somalis survive during Ramadan for God's sake?"

A response

By Muslimah - Europe on 2007-09-05 14:09 (GMT)

I just came back from shopping and read this. My tears burst out thinking about the money I just spent for food whereas out there my Muslim brothers and sisters suffer in hunger. I immediately donated some through Islamic Relief, remembering how generous Rasulullah salallahu 'alaihi wa salam was in the month of Ramadan. Hope this will encourage other Muslims who are fortunate to donate for our Muslim brothers and sisters in Somali and other deprived countries. Start the spirit of Ramadan now!

Source