Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

The muufo appreciation society

These foodie-peepz are desperate to show their genuine love and appreciation for the humble muufo. However, much like me, as far as we know, its creation/appearance involves the careful preparation of ritualistic sacrifices and shamanistic performances at the back of the kitchen that result in the miraculous materialisation of a muufo on the plate .. AKA, dunno, my mum makes it.

Anyhow, these poor souls have trawled the net inside and out. Quizzed Somali-yakee taxi drivers, and cafe urchins, considered inquiring at somali embasies and have even mailed skinies in far away capetown .. and all to no avail.

So, if anyone knows this carefully kept secret, and wouldn't mind sharing it, please post it here (and/or there too)

Paragon   

^^Depends. If you are willing to pay handsomely, I can consult the local tinaar worker and write down the recipe! But let me see the green first :D .

Paragon,

1) you have vindicated my thought of going straight to the female sources that might harbour the mythical secrets rather than dodgy middle men - in the literal sense

2) Think of the warm glow you'll get in your heart -- you know that green cant buy that for you

Paragon   

^^Lol. Oh, that sounds so righteous. But no thank you sxb. The middle-man is a reality of life my friend. Its life :D .

Originally posted by Ghanima:

^^You are money!! is that what going to Africa does to one! yaab.
:D

Africa is a very wise teacher. It teaches you to appreciate many things in life, among them 'dosh' smile.gif . 3 month's stay is equivalent to 3 year degree of learning professional grafting. Good thing I went- I have divorced idealism smile.gif .

Malika   

^^^Lol,Northerner your having a moment of lost in translation miyaa..lol , am assuming Muufo is some sort of bread, :cool:

am I right? @Caano Geel

Originally posted by Dahia al Kahina:

^^^Lol,Northerner your having a moment of lost in translation miyaa..lol , am assuming Muufo is some sort of bread, :cool:

am I right? @Caano Geel

Muufo is just another Ugali. Think of it as a bread made of some ratio of Ugali(Unga flour) & Chapati(Unga Ngano flour). I am not exactly sure of the ratios but i know it has both flours.

As for the recipes,it is one of those Somali mysteries that only a Somali can ever understand,Just like eating Bananas with every food.

def. lost in translation,

muufo is a type of bread, which is obviously not very popular in the waqooyi. but 'muufo' also is the generic name for a whole class of breads, the pitta bread is known as an arab muufo in somali. Its also baked in ovens .. unlike the other somali breads, which makes sense as to why its not popular with desert nomads.

anyhow, the common muufo that i'm thinking of is round, brown in colour, about palm size,(always smaller than what i remember from childhood), very thick compared to the other somali breads (about 1inch thick in the centre) - and doughy, without being crumbly or mushy.

Also, the word always feels hollow with out its accomplice, maraq. ... childhood aroma's in muqdisho are coming back now ... and its just damn perfect for soaking up the maraq and bisbaas.

-- faarax, with the ugali, you sure your not thinking of soor? anyhow, care to expand of your recipe - dont worry we encourage that you get some tips from your lady friend(s) ;)

-- rudy, obviously you have no taste buds icon_razz.gif

^^^ their only chance is to go to Dubia - they may find the real Muufo and with small cash the recipes as well.

The Muufo we see in Europe is crap and not upto the Mogadishu standard!

Cheers

howddhy Z, i think you may have a point there, but lets persevere and see if the net brings in any results first,

sshhehehehhehehe

really! .. the real question you should be asking is how the F can i nab a faarax without knowing the sacred muufo ceremonies

Balaayo. Not another link in the chain that links one to the kitchen sink! Hell with that. Farax's got long fingers that are made for dialling his hooyo's number.

[edit]: kaalay, what the H are you doing 'stumbling' upon a food thread?

Blessed   

She. The Village.

I've never had Muufo, the closest I got to a muufo was a baarid, cold piece that didn't look very appetizing. But I know the song... who remembers the video? The two hungry looking mechanics and who was the woman..?

*Axem*

Muufooy, Muufo

Maraq aan ku dhuuqaan doonayaa

Muufoy, Muufo

Anigu Muufaan donyaa

Muufo, Muufo, Muufo Macaan

Maraq aan ku dhuuqaan doonayaa

Muufo, Muufo, Muufo Macaan