Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Gifted kids - what to do with them.

hodman   

MashaAllah that is wonderful. I’m sure most public schools have a program for gifted and talented students, where they pull out students for some lessons but keep them in class for others. If you can afford private school that’s great. Whatever you do though don’t isolate the child by putting too many expectations on him. Gifted kids are the most vulnerable ones most often.

Pujah   

just have the kid skip a grade but not more than one because he will be prime target for bullying as he is going to be much younger than classmates. But if you do decide to put him in a private school be prepared to be hands on and tutor him him 5 days a week.

Zafir   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Zafir, the boy is 5 yrs old.

I love u too Devilangle
:D
Imagine what could happen if u get rid off all that negativity u are harboring inside
:D

Shez, I have not done anything particular. Sibling rivalary did it. He was waht u call a copy cat. He watched her going school, doing an interesting school projects, and what not so we let him do the same thing at home mimicking her that is. Before we know it he was beating her in educational software games. The other thing is he helps his ayeeyo listen the BBC. He logs in the computer and get this nobody told him the password and he memorized by sneaking when we log on.

Then he finds and clicks the dail up icon to connect, opens the browser gets Allpuntland and gets the BBC for her. Get this sometimes when dail up is slow as it often does he tries to explain ayeeyo why it is not connecting by saying "it is not 56k ayeey".

Ngonge, there is no Somalia to go back for now. Good advice though.

Massa my man, I'm away from home so sport is on hold for now. I'm not big in sport anyway. But he takes swimming lessons which he likes pretty much.

Done for the day. Going home...

Baashi, the above post indicates nothing out of the ordinary sire, the mentioning provides the usual behaviors of a normal 5year old. It goes without saying that if he already done his sister’s home works previously that he would succeed when his time came. The online BBC is entirely different though; you see my daughter started counting 1 to 10 when she was 17months, without the teachings of my better half or me. Kids pay attention to everything around them not only what they are thought; even though you might think they suffer from attention defecate disorder sometimes.

Funny story, when my princes was 18 months intrigued with her learning ability, I thought I would teach her body parts, I started spending more time, pointing to my nose and saying the world “nose”, the eye and saying “I” so on and so forth. I have continued doing it 15- 20 minutes in every hour I spent with her, for five days, no response. The sixth day, just when I declared defeat, she tore off a page from one of her books while I was standing there; I blew up on her yelling her name and saying, “why she did that”? She then looked at me pointed finger to her nose and said, “nose” with an innocent look. Unforgettable day it was.

All things considered, every child is gifted sire.

Every child is gifted and has indeed her/his own unique talents but when the practitioners who are constantly engaged in the profession of educating children tell you that your child is above average or the knowledge he/she possess surpasses that which his/her grade level expects, that, yaa Zafir, is indeed a reason for celebration and source for parental pride!

Baashe and Zafiir, congrats i say! Your investment will pay itself off IA.

Zafir   

^ A father is proud regardless Sheikh Xiin. :D

Excuse my ramblings good Baashi, just thought I would prepare you for all angles. :D

-Lily-   

Congrats Baashi,

I think maybe you should consider a grammer school, take the entrance tests at 7+ and he might find school work more stimulating with children of his own level. I don't think all private schools are necessarily great schools.

My younger sister, who is very much gifted (she's 15 now) used to be very bored in school, uninterested in homework and so on. Her teachers often said she was above her age group academicaly. So she got a scholarship for a private school and is now doing 'A' level Maths, (has 3 GCSEs already) and is pridicted to get 7 A*. The point is, she goes to school where everyone in her class is an A or an A* student, so she works harder and is challenged more.

Basically, your kid needs to be challenged to feed his mind and to make it grow.

Like Ngonge said, education is outside school too. So libraries, museums, galleries, science camps, anything like that will help.

N.O.R.F   

Bashow, i was recently watching an Islamic Q&A and the Shiekh is probably one of the best at articulating and making people understand the answers he gives by refering to the relevant sources. I have learned alot by simply watching the hour long program twice a week. His name is Sheikh Mohammed Salah and is a graduate of Al Azhar University in Qaahira.

One of the callers asked about his qualifications one day and he replied in kind. Mashallah, his father 'sacrificed' (in his own words) him for Islam. He started attending Al Azhar school at the age of 5 (if not earlier). This struck a chord with me. We are always thinking of the future of our lives, families (as you do) and hope for success in terms of the young ones gaining qualifications etc. Anyway, the sheikh encouraged the viewers to 'sacrifice' one child for the sake of Islam. The others can become doctors, engineers, acountants etc he says but at least one should be encouraged to take up deenul Islam.

What you think ya Baashi?

Miriam1   

The reason i posted, is my family went through something similar with my younger sister who's rather intelligent, I am not sure if she is exceptionally gifted, but she was much smarter than her peers when she was in grade 5. Her teacher recommeded an alternative school in the public school board itself here in Toronto, that had smaller classes and thereby smaller teacher:student ratio and allowed the students to really be as creative as possible.

She really loved it and enjoyed herself and felt more comfortable with the small class size and being able just to question her teacher, whenever a question popped into her head.

I would just say, dude seriously consider putting him in a place that recognizes his level of intelligence.

Baashi,

I'm happy for your son but make sure that you pay the same attention to your other child(ren) and express how much you are proud of them too. Too many times I see families who focus on the 'gifted' child and some pretty nasty resentment develops between the siblings (and towards the parents).

P.S. Quite some parents choose to homeschool their gifted children so that they could provide a superior education than what the public schools offer. How about that idea. :D

Masha Allah Baashi, I'm happy 2 hear the good news. I have a nephew (cousin's kid)in grade 9 who's also gifted. However, he's enrolled in public school, and quite honestly bored out of his mind. His brother is close to being gifted too. Yet, the possibility of going to a special school (or a better alternative) is slim for reasons I still don't understand.

Anyway, good luck with finding the best option for your child. I'm extremely happy for your family smile.gif