Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Africa day, 25th May

Haneefah   

Their people are suffering, countries ridden with endemic diseases that will soon wipe 'em off the earth, and the continent is in complete havoc, yet all they want to do is dance and celebrate on Africa Day? Exactly what is there to be festive about? Caqli Afrikaan baan maqli jirey.

Haneefah, its not always good to dwell on all thats negative.

I'm assuming this sort of festival is for those in the west to experience a bit of culture, art and food from the continent. So as to keep their bond with their homelands.

I'm sure even those in disease and war ridden places still smile and celebrate when the occasion calls for it (weddings, public holidays).

Haneefah   

^At last, you made it to London?

Serenity, this negative is but an everyday reality for millions, dear. Marka, ha ila yaabin if I fail to grasp the occasion that calls for a celebration. Africa is in dire need of its people, and unfortunately, we are still not willing to look back.

NGONGE   

^^ To be able to forget is one of man's greatest skills. Beside, since Africa is depressed and depressing this would be one of those rare chances when you get to see hundreds of happy Africans all in one place. Don't miss it.

ps

Should you not be on an Airplane by now, Cadaan?

Make it here in one piece and I might think about being your tourist guide. ;)

Baluug   

LOL@Ngonge, I'm just reading your post now, after you've already helped guide me around Edgeware :D

I wonder if we're going to this thing today? Have to ask Norf.....

Ibtisam   

Cadaan^ Wlc to London smile.gif It has been raining since North arrived here. Blame it on him! :mad:

I'll look out for you today... If it stops raining, I'll make it down.

BOB   

This is another scheme to make a quick buck using the good name of mother Africa!

There are so many nice things about Africa worthy of a celebration but not like this and not least in the current situation...

Serenity and Ibtisam...send that money to the orphans in Mogadishu or any other Somali town or city instead of helping these fat monkeys get fatter.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace,Love & Unity.

Baluug   

^This was free, saaxib. No money needed, unless you wanted to buy some of the dodgy stuff in the booths, real rare items such as Gladys Knight CD's with cracked cases :D

Yeah, I, and Northerner and another nomad checked it out today for about 1/2 hour, but it wouldn't stop raining :mad: Put a damper on the day's festivities, but still good to walk around and see some sights. I was looking for other SOLers but didn't see any.

Urm, so did any of you really brave the rain? (Not you Cadaan - you're a tourist and not to be concerned about mere weather).I somehow doubt it.

Me, I spent the bank holiday doing what everyone should do on a wet bank holiday - vegetate in front of the telly.