Sign in to follow this  
ADNAAN

Kenyan Arsenal fan hangs himself

ADNAAN   

http://news.bbc.co.u k/1/hi/world/africa/ 8036367.stm

A Kenyan fan of English football club Arsenal has hanged himself after his team's defeat by Manchester United.

The north London club was beaten 3-1 in the European Champions League semi-final second leg on Tuesday evening.

Suleiman Omondi, 29, who was watching in a bar in the capital, Nairobi, was incensed by the club's poor showing.

He left at half-time after arguing with a Manchester United fan and was found hanging from a rope in his house, still dressed in an Arsenal shirt.

'Broke down'

The BBC's Josphat Makori in Nairobi says the unprecedented incident has shocked football fans in Kenya.

According to his friends, Mr Omondi was in good spirits at the beginning of the match and even when Arsenal conceded the first goal, he did not seem to be affected.

He was so angry that he left in a rage

Eyewitness

But things changed when the team conceded a second goal 11 minutes into the game.

A woman, who sat next to him in the bar, said Mr Omondi was so disappointed by Arsenal's poor performance that he broke down during half-time.

Another eyewitness told journalists that it was at this point that a Manchester United fan started taunting him.

"Suleiman got hold of him angrily by the neck and started pressing him so hard," he said.

"We quickly intervened and asked him to stop. Suleiman then stopped but he was so angry that he left in a rage."

His body was found on Wednesday morning.

Police officer David Bunei told the BBC the incident was being investigated.

Fabregas   

yeah i saw this yesterday. but i think he must have deeper problems in life. probably little to do with the footie.

BOB   

Booze and Ball Don't mix...Period.

I have a friend who is as passionate as Maryooley get but as soon as the game finishes...if his team lost...he will shrug his shoulders and say...Ma awaleey ilmo ii korinayeen mise lacagteey wax iga siinayaan...doofaar kama aqaan...Smart man.

Peace, Love & Unity.

On a related note. I am no fan of any team, laakiinse tii Chelsea ku dhacday shaley wax madaxa kugu xanuunayo ahayd. I can understand the pain felt by any fan of that team.

I would have loved to see Michael Ballack winning a major trophy. Maskiinkaas aad u ciyaaraa, una dadaalaa, yet waligiis koob ma qaadin, albeit coming closest to many of the major trophies. Igaarkaas nasiibkiisa lee xun.

Oz   

Thanks MMA. At least one of SOL elders feels the same way Chelsea fans feel :D

Paragon   

Talking of hanging, I heard of this saddening incident in Woolwich a week ago, where a disturbed Somali man slaughtered his Somali host. From ear to ear, I hear. Apparently the disturbed man was threatening ninkii guriga dejiyey ee cuntadana ugu daray saying 'mar dhow waan ku gowrici doonaa!'. The host thought ninkuu wuu yara xanuunsan yahay and didn't make anything of the threat, only to have the disturbed man buy a knife from the local hardware store and cut the host's throat while he slept.

Waxaa la yiri ninkii wax qalay washed his hands and calmly went to the local marfish, telling the other men 'war ninkii hebel ahaa waan soo qalay'. Even them joked it off but found out the next day that the disturbed man was kidding. It was true.

Now when I think of that... somehow this Arsenal fan fades into nothingness.