Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Ethics, Technology Agriculture

I came across and read a quite eye-opener book, "80 Hommes Pour Changer Le Monde" (French for "80 men to change the world"), written as a team project intituled "Tour Du Monde en 80 Hommes" or "World's Tour Through 80 Men" (www.80hommes.com) and which reminds us that many simple, practical as well as ecological steps are far more successful than many other interested forms of "Aid", "Technology Transfert" and "Investments" more akin to mere political bribes or ravage local environments while disproportionally advantaging the well-offs.

Indeed, the books illustrates many examples in different fields I can hardly quote exhaustively, from empowering the poors through land, property and business titles, hence energizing the informal sector while liberating the majority of humankind from both precarity and insecurity to standardized, low-cost healthcare ( whereas Mc Donald sells cheap, unhealthy burgers, an Indian ophthalmic surgeon layed the foundations of eye mass surgeries with locally manufactured implants, an approach replicable to other specialties).

However, I thought practical irrigation technology could help us towards both food security as well as self-sufficiency in an era of rising food prices, especially in Somali inhabited areas more suitable for agriculture, where rural Somalis are neglected and massive rural-urban migration is witnessed.

Developed by Approtec (Appropriate Technologies for Enterprise Creation), an initiative founded in Kenya, a simply designed but highly effective manual irrigation pump is the star of their range of products and seems particularly suited for Sub-Saharan conditions (with many awards and international recognition).

The Money Maker Transforms the Lives of Kenyans

However, I thought practical irrigation technology could help us towards both food security as well as self-sufficiency in an era of rising food prices, especially in Somali inhabited areas more suitable for agriculture, where rural Somalis are neglected and massive rural-urban migration is witnessed

Hello Abu-Salaman(Kool-Kat,kumee? LOL)

This is quite an interesting story and i like your vision. However,you have to have the farmer mentality,the farming land & of course the water for this to work. Most of the arable land in Somalia is already saturated, 3/4 of your land is Arid or Semi Arid & there are only two major rivers in the entire Somalia.

Besides that,Somalis are not farmers by nature; They say in Africa,a Leopard doesnt change its spots and I believe its hard to transform roaming nomads into stagnant farmers...

Nephissa   

^ Are you forgeting the lower Juba/Shabeele region? Those folks were farmers by nature addeer, iska yeel yeel maaha. They run their farms successfully back in the days. Now, land mines and air/surface bombardment have poisoned the agricultural lands. It'll probably take years to recover from the ravages of war. Nonetheless, that's a good plan Abu-Salman.

Originally posted by Nephthys:

^ Are you forgeting the lower Juba/Shabeele region? Those folks were farmers by nature addeer, iska yeel yeel maaha. They run their farms successfully back in the days. Now, land mines and air/surface bombardment have poisoned the agricultural lands. It'll probably take years to recover from the ravages of war. Nonetheless, that's a good plan Abu-Salman.

Correct. And i did mention it in my reply maaha?, Saying that,except for the two rivers region(which yall call Jubba & Shabelle,LOL), theres nothing else in Somalia or any somali land for that matter. Except maybe pockets of land here and there.

Farming is a relatively new concept for Nomads. One thing i know for sure is that,You tell my people to do away with Nomadism and embrace Farming,walle in lagu karbaashi. smile.gif

Nephissa   

I love farmers-ka ;) dee as my happiest memories of my childhood were at my grandpas' farm. I hated living out in the city [Xamar] when I was a little girl. Now, I dream of when I can live out in the country and even raise my own livestock!