Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Eid on it's way

N.O.R.F   

Don’t fret: priceless doesn’t have to mean expensive

Tala al Ramahi

Last Updated: September 23. 2008 10:35PM UAE / GMT Ramadan is approaching its final days, and those who have been observing the month of fasting and restraint know that what comes next is a complete lack of restraint: the joyous but financially demanding celebration that is Eid al Fitr. Just like Christmas elsewhere, you will now notice families in the UAE rushing to do their last-minute shopping for gifts, clothes and ingredients for the lunch feast of their first non-fasting day in four weeks.

Any newcomers to the UAE who had been contemplating a visit to the malls this weekend for a day of unwinding should reconsider – unless you enjoy being pushed and shoved, and you are soothed by the sound of children screaming. The family-oriented occasion is one that Muslim children eagerly await. I fondly remember the times when my sister and I could not fall asleep the night before Eid as we excitedly anticipated the new clothes we were going to wear and the gifts we were going to receive from uncles, aunts and friends.

We even had fresh new pairs of socks, usually lined with red or pink glitter; the perfect embellishment for such an occasion, we – tweenie fashionistas – thought at the time.

As a child, gift exchanging was never overshadowed by poor financial conditions or credit crunches, falling stock prices or rising car loan payments. But I still look forward to the coming Eid with excitement (though not as great as when I was 10, alas) but also with some financial unease. I wonder about the families who cannot afford ostentatious presents to offer children and friends, and those who have lost thousands (if not millions) of dirhams in the unsettling financial markets of today.

There are many stereotypes floating around about Arabs – many of them untrue and unflattering – but there is one that is undeniably correct: Arabs are boundlessly hospitable and generous, regardless of how rich or poor they are. If you are invited to lunch or dinner, the Arab host will make sure that there are umpteen dishes available and will urge you to try as many as possible (even pushing you for seconds despite the too-full-for-comfort look on your face).

Unlike non-Arabs, who take empty serving dishes as a compliment, your host here will actually be privately embarrassed (although never admit ting it) if there is no food left at the end of the meal, as he will assume that not enough was prepared.

The intrinsic Arab spirit of generous giving is not constrained to meal-times however; gifts on birthdays, baby showers and Eid are usually extravagant. When it is time to return the favour, there is an unwritten Arab rule that you reciprocate with a gift that is of equal or greater value than the one you received, even if your means are limited. As an Arab, you take such commitments as the norm, never as a burden. After all, relationships are incredibly important in Arab culture, and unselfish generosity, no matter how financially demanding, is a virtue in which Arabs take great pride.

It was when I left the land of endless hospitality, the UAE, to study in the land of endless meal upsize options, the USA, that I became aware of the contrasting ideas of gift giving and hospitality between the two cultures. In California, more food certainly did not equal more love (ask regular McDonald’s customers about that). In the US, hosts did not feel the need to cook a four-course feast to make you feel welcome. A plate of superbly marinated salmon with a side dish of fresh salad and a home baked pie would suffice.

To be honest, it took quite a bit of getting used to, but despite the dissimilarities in hospitality, I always felt more than valued at homes of American friends.

The culture of gift giving was also different but interesting, especially for an Arab who was used to receiving jewellery, or large intricately decorated concoctions of Patchi chocolate, or even designer wallets. Well thought out, personal and usually inexpensive presents were what I received from fellow American friends: a handmade picture frame with a photograph that captured a defining moment of a friendship, a batch of imported Japanese coloured pens from a friend who knew my fascination with colour-coded class notes, and a book of poems by a Palestinian writer and activist from someone who knew my personal passions.

But then when I sit and recall memorable gifts I have received over the years, they are more likely to be personalised presents that are most probably not hugely expensive: the Dh40 pendant from a childhood friend; a scrapbook of pictures from a college roommate; a worn teddy bear from a loved one.

The countdown to Eid has begun, and for those adults worried that the financial downturn will inhibit their generosity, I urge you not to fret. It is not the cost of the present that makes it priceless, nor the amount of food that makes the meal memorable.

N.O.R.F   

An envelope, a pizza box: random acts of kindness

Rym Ghazal

Last Updated: September 24. 2008 11:46PM UAE / September 24. 2008 7:46PM GMT Ramadan is almost over, and it hadn’t been one of my favorites – mainly because my family is not here – until several touching scenes changed my ranking of this year’s holy month.

Holding a thick envelope packed with money, my Emirati friend Abduallah was adding yet another Dhs1,000 into it. “It is for our two Omani coffee boys, who have it rough,” he said with a smile as he casually put away the envelope. There was Dhs 34,000 in it already.

Abduallah went around the office asking if anyone would like to donate anything for the two coffee servers as a surprise for Eid. “I want them to have a nice Eid,” he said. On one of his visits to Oman, Abduallah had been invited over to their homes, and remembered how run-down and poor they were. “Hopefully they can have a different Eid this time around, and get some new gifts for themselves and their families.”

Now that is the spirit of Ramadan that I grew up with: a time of giving, reflection and kindness, not just to strangers, but to the people around you, whom we sometimes take for granted. I pitched in myself as, frankly, I haven’t come across beggars and I don’t think it would be appropriate for me, a girl alone, to approach labourers on a construction site and give them iftar or zakat. I like to feed a poor family or two during Ramadan, something I haven’t been able to do here.

The other instance that brought a smile to my heart involved a garbage bin, an old Pakistani man and three handsome Emirati men. I was driving around in a residential area where there were a lot of new houses being built when I saw an elderly Pakistani man going through one of the large ugly metallic bins parked along the corner. “Aha! My chance to do a charitable good thing in Ramadan,” I thought, so I parked the car and grabbed a whole load of money and got out of my car – to find out someone beat me to him.

Three young Emirati guys got out of their Range Rover and went over to the old man with their wallets and what appeared to be a pizza box. They patted the old man on his shoulder, gave him money and offered him their pizza.

It was so sweet.

I think the old man was in shock: he stood their speechless for a few seconds before blessing the three young men and wishing them well for their kindness. I couldn’t help but smile as everyone left with a little bit more faith in the goodness that sometimes comes when you least expect it.

Sometimes these instances of generosity and kindness in Ramadan are overshadowed by the hectic traffic on the streets and the crowds in grocery stores, and the short tempers and accidents that sometimes unfortunately accompany fasting people under strain.

“How was your Ramadan this year?” my father asked me over the phone just the other day.

“It was OK, it gets harder as you get older,” I said.

“Tell me about it,” he said, laughing.

“Did you get your Eid outfit yet?” he asked.

Oops. I forgot. Because I’ve left it to the last minute, I will be dealing with the Eid rush now.

As Ramadan enters its final days, people shop around for Eid gifts for their loved ones and for new outfits and clothing, as is tradition, almost like starting a new day with a new fresh look after enduring a month of fasting: a treat after a month of patience and self-denial.

I heard a child squealing with joy as his parents picked out a new video-game system for him, with at least ten new games.

Lucky, I thought, and I admit, I was a bit jealous.

Tailors have stopped taking requests as they are overwhelmed with orders for new kanduras and abayas.

As is tradition in our family, we pick a colour or a special theme for Eid to make it interesting. My parents started this to keep us, the kids, excited and searching for creative ways to celebrate Eid.

“OK, what is the theme this year?” I asked my father.

“We will let you decide,” he said.

Hmmm. I happened to be looking at a photo of a swan.

“White! White like a swan, we each have to wear something white,” I said.

“Even the shoes?” my father asked, half jokingly.

“Why not?” I replied.

So I am on the hunt for a white outfit. I’ve already found a white skirt, so I’m looking for a white top that will match it, and white shoes.

Since we are all scattered about the globe and probably won’t be able to celebrate Eid together, we’ve decided to send each other photos of ourselves in our new Eid clothes.

What my family doesn’t know is that I might surprise them with a visit in Eid, and I will show up in a completely white outfit: and maybe, just for kicks, I will put on a red hat.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080924/OPINION/506176592/1080

nuune   

Wadac wadac yaa ramadaan, anyone remembers that song, usually it used to be on Radio Mogadishu during the last few days of Ramadan

nuune   

Alle maanta ayaanta

Iyo ciida wanaagsan

Ilaahii ina siiyey

Isagaa ku abaal leh

Way ahaataye maanta

Si wanaagsan u ciida

Callankeena Iftiimay

Xiddigtaa ku astaysan

Ilaahii ina siiyey

Isagaa ku abaal leh

Way ahaataye maanta