Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Mido, 'he's got a bomb'

N.O.R.F   

Wonder who will agree with the Newcastle fans? The media is trying to cover it up and smooth it over :rolleyes:

Mort: Mido incident must be one-off

Mido385_199605a.jpg

By George Caulkin

Chris Mort, the Newcastle United chairman, has responded to the distasteful chants aimed at Mido, Middlesbrough’s Egypt international, during last weekend’s Tyne-Tees derby. Chants of “Mido, he’s got a bomb, Mido,” and other unsavoury comments were aimed at the forward by a section of Newcastle supporters, but Mort has reaffirmed the club’s multi-cultural and multi-racial credentials.

Writing in today’s programme for the home match against Wigan Athletic, Mort requested that there be no repeat of the incident, which is to be examined by the Football Association. Newcastle fans have alleged that Mido made abusive hand signals in their direction last Sunday; the striker was cautioned for the exuberance of his celebration in the wake of his goal.

“As regulars at St. James’ Park and those that follow us on the road will know, this is not typical behaviour from our supporters,” Mort said. “At the club, we value very highly the great work that has been done by and with important organisations such as Kick It Out. We also do a considerable amount of work which goes unnoticed.

“On Thursday of this week, for example, we were delighted to host a community awareness event for the benefit of Muslims in the north-east which was attended by around 300 people. This club does not judge people on the grounds of race, religion or personal beliefs.

“As I have mentioned in this column previously, I want to encourage fan participation – we have a potential competitive advantage with the positive support our fans can give to our players – however, we must all work hard together to make sure the Mido incident is a one-off.”

N.O.R.F   

Alan Green: Obscene rants have no place in our game

Email Article

Print Version

Search

Most Emailed

Most Read

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Do you remember the days when supporters, however passionate they were about their own team, generally restricted any taunting of opponents to the good-natured variety?

Or, am I being naïve?

Whatever, that's certainly no longer the case.

Supporters of both clubs will deny it but one of the reasons I dread matches between Liverpool and Manchester United, wherever they're played, are the sickening songs about 'Hillsborough' and 'Munich'.

Football really can push entirely normal people to extremes.

Now Newcastle fans are usually of the most amenable sort. Though they've got to put up with the regular under-performing of a club they expect to win trophies, they're as couched in good humour as they are in those black and white shirts.

So why those appalling racist chants at Middlesbrough's Egyptian striker Mido?

And let's not have any nonsense about it being just harmless fun.

Calling someone a 'paedo' and a 'bomber' isn't funny in anyone's language.

I was watching mute television pictures of the game while I was at Old Trafford waiting for the Spurs' match and assumed Mido was way over the top with his 'shushing' gestures.

I was wrong and the only joke in the circumstances was that the player was booked.

So the FA is holding an enquiry. Why?

Isn't it already obvious what went on?

The only question surely is deciding what punishment they can inflict and that, I accept, is difficult.

How can Newcastle be blamed when it didn't happen at St James Park?

And, if you were to think of banning Newcastle fans from away games, you'd be financially punishing the other clubs involved.

I don't have an answer.

And I worry about what might happen to the Oldham player Lee Hughes in the coming weeks.

I have no sympathy for what he did three years ago, causing death by dangerous driving and then running away from the scene.

I might think, as many do, that his punishment wasn't severe enough, but the law took its course and Hughes served his time.

Though, and he admits as such, he will live with what he's done for the rest of his life, he has every right to try to rebuild his career as a footballer.

What, should we prefer him to have an anonymous job on a building site or as a postman rather than doing what he knows best?

That's not our right, it's his, but I dread what opposing fans have in store for him.

If I go to a game as a 'fan' and I really dislike what or whom I'm seeing, I never yell abuse.

My silence is as much condemnation as I care to muster and I frequently despise some of the things I hear shouted around me.

Wouldn't we live in a far better football world if others followed the example of Goodison Park and Anfield this last week in their wonderful tributes after that shocking murder on Merseyside?

Yes, many Everton and Liverpool fans in recent years have gone far too far in their bitterness towards each other but I know of no other city that can unite so magnificently in common grief.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/article2917511.ece

N.O.R.F   

Aug 28, 2007 01:30 PM

Associated Press

LONDON – The Football Association will investigate the anti-Islamic chants directed at Middlesbrough striker Ahmed Mido during Sunday's 2-2 draw with Newcastle.

"We will contact the clubs and get their views of what happened," the FA told the BBC on Tuesday. "We will also look at the quotes from the player and take it from there."

Mido, who scored Middlesbrough's first goal, said he was used to it.

"I just think this was ridiculous. Maybe some of them were drunk," the 24-year old Mido said. "It made me want to score goals. I was very delighted to score once and wanted another."

The Egypt striker ran toward the Newcastle fans after he scored, motioning toward them to be silent. He was yellow-carded for the celebration.

"I'm told it was for security reasons, but I don't see how that is possible," Mido said. "I don't see why what I did affected the security of the fans. I just put my finger to my mouth to say 'quiet'."

In November 2005, West Ham apologized to Mido for anti-Muslim abuse directed at the striker, then with Tottenham, by its supporters.

Mido joined Middlesbrough from Tottenham this month for six million pounds ($12.8 million Canadian). He has scored in both his games since.

Emperor   

I think Mido is a big headed arrogant player but hey thats how you survive and make name for yourself in the Premiership or British media, when you see the likes of Mourinho getting interviews to predict matches 3 times a day and gives 3 different predictions of one match... and later when he loses comes back and says it wasn't our fault, it's the refereee :D