Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Rageh's Tour in UK

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^Just left blighty (couldnt stand the place) bought the book at Heathrow and got straight into it much to the annoyance of the passenger next to me when i kept the light on during the flight
:D

The title of the book, only half of me which he goes into at the start of the book is so true. Its like we live double lives. When at work and when out of work we lead different lives. I hardly ever discussed my ethnicity with people at work and i certainly didnt lead their lifestyle to discuss on a monday morning.

Are Somalis double agents?

Double agents? I'm not so sure about that phrase - it's more like a different private life given religion and culture. I guess it also depends on the individuals you work with. If you're working with evangelical Christians - the differential in one's private life is smaller than if you're working with a group of swingers.

And there is a difference with regard to Somali/Muslim male and his female counterpart. As a male - ppl see you as another 'black guy' whereas a female with a hijab is a distinctly different entity and thus her private life is naturally different from that of her co-workers.

I'll pick up the book on this side of the Atlantic when it comes out in the library. I do wonder though - for a non-practising Muslim like the author - how much of his writing on Muslim perceptions is really authentic? Perhaps I'm just being a bstard icon_razz.gif

N.O.R.F   

I can make few comments on your last paragraph but i dont want to until there others who have read the book.

Originally posted by Northerner:

The title of the book, only half of me which he goes into at the start of the book is so true. Its like we live double lives. When at work and when out of work we lead different lives. I hardly ever discussed my ethnicity with people at work and i certainly didnt lead their lifestyle to discuss on a monday morning.

Are Somalis double agents?

You agree with him? Normally if one works at a job that is in the upper echelons of paid work they would want for it to be rewarding and rightfully so considering what they expended in the effort to get there. Work can only enjoyed if positive rapport with collegues is built. And you can only do so with what is an integral part of you i.e. your Somaliness and Muslimness. People who do not discuss attributes of their personal life either do not like their co-workers enough to do so or they are trying hard to proof that they are not marxists who take work to be the beginning and end of it all. icon_razz.gif There shouldn't be a stark contrast in your life whether at work or outside of it. You have the same principles, you are the same you.

Ps. I really like Rageh Omar, will read this book when it becomes available where I live.

N.O.R.F   

^^I wouldnt go as far as they didnt know where i was from but more what being Somali represents. Being a muslim was obvious enough.

At work i would be amongst many races but away from work it would be only Somalis, hence my double life compared to those i worked with who would even meet-up on the weekend and watch the Rugby or play golf.

Sophist   

I am on page 67; so far it is good. I like the way he dealt with the infamous Ayaan Hersi.

Rageh is a good broadcaster.

NGONGE   

From first impressions (I’m on page forty) this looks like one of these books that you need to force yourself to read. Like I said, I’m just at the start of it and might even mange to finish reading it tonight (it’s a short book). However, I can’t help feeling that this book is not aimed at me or written with me (and my kind) in mind. It comes across as one long stream of consciousness that is aimed at your average westerner!

The last time I had difficulty in reading a book, it was Moby Dick (and that was more to do with having to go back and trying to work out what the author meant or was referring to in the midst of all those descriptions of the whale). So far, I see no Whale here and have not gone back to reread any of it.

Still, the powers that be (the trouble and strife) bought me a signed copy of the book and I have no choice but to persevere to the end and report back my opinion (for all it’s worth). :(

ElPunto   

But how could it not be! :D He's a westernized former nomad much like you guys. Very few O.N.(Original Nomads) left out there.