Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Unholy row over residential project

N.O.R.F   

Unholy row over residential project

By Zoi Constantine and Wafa Issa, Staff Reporters

Dubai: An exclusive residential development project in Dubai is selling properties on the basis that the on-site mosque's call to prayer will be restricted, according to prospective buyers.

People who have expressed interest in the luxury Al Barari villas have been told that the call to prayer, or adan, which is sounded five times a day starting at dawn, will only be broadcast on Fridays.

Others have been informed that noise levels emitted by the mosques will be regulated by a committee of residents once the vast development located near Nad Al Sheba is completed.

However, the development company strongly denied the allegations, saying the two on-site mosques will feature the adan as normal.

Also, according to the General Authority for Islamic Affairs and Awqaf's Department of Islamic and Charitable Affairs, it is against the law to restrict the workings of a mosque in the UAE.

Key function

"All mosques fall under the authority of the awqaf and they have to raise all calls to prayer, as long as they are operating under an Islamic system, such as the one in our country," Dr Ahmad Abdul Aziz Al Haddad, Grand Mufti at the Department of Islamic and Charitable Affairs, told Gulf News.

One of the key functions of the mosque is to remind people of prayer times via the adan, which cannot be confined to the inside of the structure and must be audible outside the mosque, he added.

Dubai resident Salim Javed from India, who visited the development's office in Jumeirah with a friend, said they were shocked upon being told that the mosque's call to prayer would be restricted.

"I asked how it was possible that the mosque will not broadcast the adan, and we both voiced our grave concerns. The salesperson simply did not have a response," Javed told Gulf News.

"The reason that many people move to the UAE is actually for the very fact that it is an Islamic country and we come here to experience that. The adan is central to that."

The reason for the proposed ban on adan during the week is that the properties are being targeted at a more "European and US market," another Dubai-resident was told. "There won't be any of that noise," an Al Barari sales executive said.

Another prospective buyer, who also did not wish to be named, was informed that a special committee will be established to decide on how loud the adan can be. "The volume will not be very high because people do not want to be woken up at 5am," he was told by a sales executive.

When contacted by Gulf News, Mohammad Za'al, the director of Al Barari denied the allegations, saying they were "categorically incorrect".

"The development will actually have two mosques, but we will not be restricting the adan. You cannot have a mosque without the adan. This is the first that I have heard of it," he said.

According to a statement issued by Al Barari, the development will feature "two mosques ... strategically located within its residential community ... Moreover, both mosques will perform the adan in accordance to the guidelines set forth by the awqaf."

Al Barari, which means "the wilderness," is being pitched towards the "privileged elite", according to its advertising campaign.

The project, which Za'al stressed is based on a "sound environmental policy," will apparently include around 300 villas, botanical gardens, restaurants, shopping areas, a hotel and extensive water features, with villas going for between Dh13 million and Dh19 million.

Phase one is due to be complete in January 2008.

- With additional inputs from Abbas Al Lawati, Staff Reporter

link

BOB   

Originally posted by Northerner:

The reason for the proposed ban on adan during the week is that the properties are being targeted at a more "European and US market," another Dubai-resident was told. "There won't be any of that noise," an Al Barari sales executive said.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Welcome to the 53rd State of the U.S.A also known as The Gulf...my brother Northerner, I'm not surprised one bit anymore about what these so-called Kings & Sultans get upto and soon they will ban the prayers just to please their master in U.S.A!

That's Middle East of the 21st Century for you..today Islam & Muslims are oppressed in the Middle East more than any other city or country on earth and yet this is the birth place of Islam!

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

You should hear the athaan/iqama at the mosque i pray Duhur in ya akhi. Infact you would be lucky to hear it as its in a mainly non-muslim xafad.

The other week i went to pray Maqrib at a mosque in Al Ain. I got there before the Athaan. The mu-adin turned on the audio system (a cassette tape thingy connected to the mics) which plays the athaan :confused:

BOB   

Shameful Indeed...i have a sister who lives in Shariqa with her Husband & kids and what she tells me about the Gulf is scary to say the least!

Peace, Love & Unity.

Som@li   

In Abu Dhabi region, that is Abu Dhabi, Al Ain etc, all prayers calls are broadcasted from one mosque , which is in the central Abu Dhabi. So it is not a tape but from a live stream from a satellite.

They r making making use of the technology, so now there is only ONE MUATHAN, athan caller, smart way of redusing the cost, by making redundant thousands of Muathans.

When over 80% of the population is Non-muslims, they have a say,and you have to respect them.

N.O.R.F   

^^Saxib, the muadin i mentioned earlier played a tape and stopped it when it finished. I am aware/heard of Abu Dhabi athaans being central but why deprive muadins of the ajar of making athaan?

Dabshid

80% Gaal have no say in the adhan on MUSLIM SOIL. That is crazy. they should go back to where they came from if they feel the adhan is a nuisance to there lives.

N.O.R.F   

^^They dont, they organise petitions and make a noise, albeit slightly muted. With the threat of losing them and their wealth, the athaan is then muted!

Bloody 'ell...I don't recall hearing Rome will mute the church bells due the petitions signed by muslim residents...Crap eh!

Cheers

Then: Dubia is not my country either

at this age n day, u should be able to get that in you house via home studio. i get it via my computer. its saved in file, use windows task scheduler to play that for you when u is at home.

besides, rich arabs dont give a damn about religion...they rather behave like beverly arab hill-billys.