Che -Guevara

Ethiopian government signs deal with Oromo rebels to end hostilities

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) – Ethiopia’s government has signed an agreement to end hostilities with the Oromo Liberation Front, which it had previously declared a terrorist movement, state television reported on Tuesday.

The deal appeared another step in a drive by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to improve security and diplomatic relations, reform institutions and open parts of the state-controlled economy.

Since the 1970s, the rebels have fought a low-level insurgency for self-determination for the Oromiya region, which is Ethiopia’s largest and home to the Oromo ethnic group.

The OLF was initially part of a transitional government set up in 1991 by rebels from the EPRDF coalition who had driven Mengistu Haile Mariam from power, but they soon fell out with the coalition.

On Tuesday, the government signed a reconciliation agreement to end hostilities with the OLF’s exiled leader Dawud Ibsa, who lives in exile in Asmara, the capital of neighbouring Eritrea, said Eritrea’s Information Minister Yemane Gebremeskel.

somalitribe.com

Dalmar1   

I wonder what the agreed points were?, i bet one of the points agreed was about future annexation Somali lands.

Seeing that the  Oromo led Ethiopia government has already concluded talks with OLF, one does wonder why the talks with ONLF hasnt started yet?

On 8/7/2018 at 1:51 PM, Dalmar1 said:

I wonder what the agreed points were?, i bet one of the points agreed was about future annexation Somali lands.

Seeing that the  Oromo led Ethiopia government has already concluded talks with OLF, one does wonder why the talks with ONLF hasnt started yet?

That is why one wonders when people accuse or blame kililka alliance with Tgray when no Somali organization has ever worked in alliance or co-operation with any Oromo organization through the decades.

TPLF is only 44 years since started and it was only in the 80s it started contact and co-operation with Somali organizations, be those armed or not armed underground organizations in kililka.

OLF of course would not want ONLF to be in influence in kililka. That is for sure. And since Abiy base is OLF on the ground then he will also delay as much as possible ONLF role in Ethiopia.